A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Timing Belt Replacement - HELP!

Old 11-22-2014, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Timing Belt Replacement - HELP!

Hi guys, almost done with my first timing belt job on a 2001 A4 1.8T. I've done the 2.7T a few times, but never the 1.8T.

Anyway, I pulled the cam chain tensioner out to replace the pads, and all the seals, and when I put it back I counted 16 links. I've seen it should be 15.5 ...but it lined up almost perfectly at 16. I put everything back in, spun the sprocket a little to pump up the tensioner, and the marks lined up with the arrows almost perfectly. Recounted and had 16 links.

I then put everything back together for the timing belt, spun it by hand 4 complete revolutions with no real resistance, and tried to start the car. It ran horribly. I checked with VCDS and had a bunch of codes, which I realized were possibly caused by some electrical connections I forgot to reconnect. I erased the codes, plugged in the plugs I forgot, and checked the timing. The crank was off a little, so I took the belt off, adjusted, and put it back, and now the crank and cam sprocket line up perfectly - but the car still runs like crap.

VCDS shows ONLY misfire codes. Random, and misfires on 1, 3, and 4. For some reason, nothing on 2.

Anyway, does this sound like the cam chain links could be off? I'm going to pull the valve cover tomorrow and double check - but I'm looking for ideas. Again, the crank and cam sprocket now line up fine....I've spun by hand with no collisions. I'm guessing it must be the chain?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2014, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, so I took everything apart and got the cams back in and lined up. Just under 16 links between marks on the cam, and the arrows ALMOST point directly at the squares on the cams, but they are off centered a little bit. I put the belt back on, cranked by hand, then started it. It seems to idle better and the engine light is no longer flashing.

Now, however, when I tension the timing belt, the crank moves clockwise a small amount (1-3 mm) My guess is that as the belt stretches over time, it will move back in time a little - what do you guys think? Should I be concerned? Is this an issue?

I've tried removing and redoing it about a dozen times. If I have both timing marks lined up - it spins. If I turn the crank back counter clockwise a small amount (hoping the belt will spin it toward the crank mark), it doesn't move at all.