A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Today, I start praying for cold temps and snow ...

Old 11-01-1999, 04:24 PM
Kaz

Default Today, I start praying for cold temps and snow ...

I got winter tires installed today. I decided on Nokian Hakka 1 195/65/15 on steel rims based on past forum recommendations and input from the retailer. Originally, I was going to go without wheel covers, but I ended up getting some plain covers with Audi rings in the centre.

The weather's been so great lately up here in Toronto, that I did hesitate to put away the SP8000E's for the season. The drive home definitely felt different with the Hakka's, especially since it hit 18 deg (Celsius) today. They tell me they should start to feel more stable once the temps near freezing.

Kaz
99.5 2.8qms l.silver/onyx
Old 11-01-1999, 04:37 PM
J. Seb

Default No! Not yet! I still haven't got my Winter Tires!!!

nt
Old 11-01-1999, 05:06 PM
Thomas Miller

Default Getting the last miles out my SP8000's before going with the winter tires.

I have about 1,000 miles worth of tread left on the SP8000's and am trying to get every last mile out of them before the snow falls. Once the snow falls the SP8000's are going to the recycle bin! I acutally got 36,000 miles out of them!
Old 11-01-1999, 05:59 PM
Gosmun

Default Re:Winter Tires?? You need a winter car!!!

I wouldn't dream of taking my A4 into the snow and ice. I know the car is more than capable of handling the most oppresive of driving conditions, but to subject this car to the horrors of foul weather just seems ludicrous.
Am I the only person who bought this car as for pleasure driving only??
Old 11-01-1999, 06:28 PM
rkk

Default Re:Winter Tires?? You need a winter car!!!

At least if you own a quattro, pleasure driving consists of burning past everyone on the road when there's of foot of snow on the ground. Sorry, but this car can be enjoyed just as much if not more in the winter. I bought an Audi so I can drive a sports car year round.
Old 11-01-1999, 06:29 PM
DMoore

Default NOT drive in winter? Heretic!

NOT drive an A4 in winter???? I'm on my seventh quattro, all of them bought specifically for winter driving. Put on a cheap set of downsized steel wheels and good snow tires, and the darned things are unstoppable. I'm not sure I'd even drive an Audi if I wasn't a skier, and I wouldn't dream of lowering the suspension, etc. I buy my cars for the snow, and summer is just a six month period to endure.

To me, parking a car like this for the winter is ludicrous!

DMoore
'00 S4
Old 11-01-1999, 07:02 PM
Mac

Default We had our first snow today....(more)

Yesterday 15 deg. Celsius. This morning, 0 degrees, 80 km/h winds and blowing snow. Several school buses could not go. About 2 inches of heavy wet slush on the road.

With my new Pirelli W210A's, I was first on the street this morning. I could not spin the tires, slide even an inch throwing the car left and right, or skid to a halt. Wow, this is neat! The other teachers were complaining about sliding through intersections and getting going on the roads. I'm really looking forward to a good heavy snow (for my own selfish purposes, and as long as no one else gets hurt).

Mac
99.5 1.8TQTip
Old 11-01-1999, 08:40 PM
Pete B

Default hello?

"Subject this car to foul weather is ludicrous"

While I love my A4, this is not a Ferrari!!!
Old 11-01-1999, 10:59 PM
J. Seb

Default Oh Yeah, Quattro was one of the reasons we bought A4. Winter Driving in A4 is a MUST! ...

This is not going to be a winter-garaged BMW. hehehe...
Old 11-02-1999, 03:44 AM
Space

Default Kaz: Where did you get wheel covers with Audi rings?

nt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Today, I start praying for cold temps and snow ...