A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Total electric loss while driving. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total electric loss while driving. Please Help!

This is my first Audi (99 Audi A4. non Quattro) and it's been a nightmare. Car is great when it works though. So here is my issue.

I was driving on the highway at full highway speeds and the car just completely shut off. It was as if you turned the key off. No lights, no anything. I was able to turn the wheel (which was difficult) and get into the shoulder. I tried to restart and nothing. As if someone stole the battery entirely. No sounds, no cranking, no anything. I had to call roadside assistance for a tow. Towed it to a shop I've used in the past. They took a quick look and didn't see anything out of the norm. They then wanted to run all kinds of electrical tests on the computers blah blah blah and wanted to charge a fortune. I've already put almost 1500-2000 into this engine already trying to get it running right. I was driving previously and the radiator fan broke & tore apart the radiator. Had to replace those, new plugs, the thermostat, new thermostat tube. Lots of new parts. I had the car towed back to my house declining to spend hundreds or more testing all the electrical. Once back home I later got in and put the key in, I noticed it had power. So I tried to start it and it started right up. I was like wtf what happened. It previously wouldn't do anything when the key was put in. From that point forward it has power, starts, etc.

i thought to myself what could have happened to make it work now. I know I slammed my drivers door pretty hard. After that noticing fuse box etc is on drivers side by the door and inside the engine bay there. Hopefully someone out there has a clue as to what this could be or experienced the same issue.

Thank you