A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Track Monster yes or no?

Old 04-13-2016, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B5 A4 track car monster?

So I have been doing some research on this subject but really haven't found a thread that answers my question accurately.

2001 B5 A4. Planning on swapping a VR6 into it and turning it into a VRT. I want a monster hp track car. So my plans were to make this car into a 5-800whp car(Just go with me here). Now since this is an A4 and not an S4 I will be breaking things left and right until I have been able to beef up all aspects of the drive train, yes I realize this will happen. I plan on ST coils, full mounts, sways and all that essential nonsense for the track.

My question to all you EXPERIENCED vets is....is this car worth tracking when it has lets just say 500whp? Or is it too heavy and just nose dives through turns? Yes I will be upgrading as much as of the suspension as I can but is it enough? or is the car just generally bad balanced? When i eventually break the 5speed trans ill be doing everything needed to upgrade to the S4 6speed(changing out the rear diff and so forth).

Now just for the sake of a smooth discussion lets assume I can get 500awhp out of the car and not argue about if I can do it or what problems I will run into and bla bla. Lets just assume I can do it and add all the proper systems to keep the engine running cool and stable for a track event.

So assuming the car works and has decent suspension is it a good candidate for a track car???? How heavy is it?

I plan on this being pretty much a dedicated track car and every once in awhile putting a friend in the passenger seat cranking the boost to ~800awhp and taking them for a quick pull on the street just so they can see what it can do. Prob run it at around 500awhp at the track to keep it safe...anyway......

thought? suggestions? concerns? anything I should be aware of? Like VRT often blow up in the turns no matter what....that would be something i def would want to know, lol.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Track Monster yes or no?

So I have been doing some research on this subject but really haven't found a thread that answers my question accurately.

2001 B5 A4. Planning on swapping a VR6 into it and turning it into a VRT. I want a monster hp track car. So my plans were to make this car into a 5-800whp car(Just go with me here). Now since this is an A4 and not an S4 I will be breaking things left and right until I have been able to beef up all aspects of the drive train, yes I realize this will happen. I plan on ST coils, full mounts, sways and all that essential nonsense for the track.

My question to all you EXPERIENCED vets is....is this car worth tracking when it has lets just say 500whp? Or is it too heavy and just nose dives through turns? Yes I will be upgrading as much as of the suspension as I can but is it enough? or is the car just generally bad balanced? When i eventually break the 5speed trans ill be doing everything needed to upgrade to the S4 6speed(changing out the rear diff and so forth).

Now just for the sake of a smooth discussion lets assume I can get 500awhp out of the car and not argue about if I can do it or what problems I will run into and bla bla. Lets just assume I can do it and add all the proper systems to keep the engine running cool and stable for a track event.

So assuming the car works and has decent suspension is it a good candidate for a track car???? How heavy is it?

I plan on this being pretty much a dedicated track car and every once in awhile putting a friend in the passenger seat cranking the boost to ~800awhp and taking them for a quick pull on the street just so they can see what it can do. Prob run it at around 500awhp at the track to keep it safe...anyway......

thought? suggestions? concerns? anything I should be aware of? Like VRT often blow up in the turns no matter what....that would be something i def would want to know, lol.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Track monster or turd?

Old 04-14-2016, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Lot of help this forum is
AudiWorld Newcomer

Lot of help this forum is, guess nobody here actually drives their car.
AudiWorld Newcomer

Old 04-14-2016, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wow dude its been 22 hours, not everyone lives on the forum...
Old 04-16-2016, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireball9298
This forum is rarely busy nowadays this is a 15 year old car you are talking about. You should probably post this under the relevant forums for people who track their cars. Even then you are doing way more than tracking.

The VR6 is not an easy fit, VAG specs this motor in transverse cars because it's tight to fit under the hood of a B5 A4. So very few people have done this. The car is seriously nose heavy in standard form, with that kind of horsepower and weight it's going to be ugly.

Easier to use a V6 twin turbo out of an S4/ S6 with chip and bigger turbos.

But as they say , how fast do you want to go or how much do you want to spend?
Old 04-17-2016, 01:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say, go for it. I am doing a similar build, though I'm going with a built and single snailed D2 S8 motor (4.2 V8 32V).

I will be completely gutting the car, target weight is circa. 1100 kgs, power output to be determined.

It's worth noting 034 Motorsport have paved the way with their B5 A4 Quattro VR6T-powered Time Attack car.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Alenehan1
Wow dude its been 22 hours, not everyone lives on the forum...
Sorry, just coming from a forum that people live on.

Originally Posted by Nollywood
I would say, go for it. I am doing a similar build, though I'm going with a built and single snailed D2 S8 motor (4.2 V8 32V).

I will be completely gutting the car, target weight is circa. 1100 kgs, power output to be determined.

It's worth noting 034 Motorsport have paved the way with their B5 A4 Quattro VR6T-powered Time Attack car.
Interesting. I'd love to get the weight down that much. Dont really see how that possible without literally removing parts of the frame....but i hope you are right

Yea 034 did this but i heard they literally had to cut the frame up and move everything back to balance the car...engine, driver, lots of things. I think im going to to go for it regardless...im not looking to set records or even compete in a specific class....more looking to just get thrills and kill other cars out on the track

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Monster yes or no?