Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 193428

Default Trouble finding the EGR valve... Pictures or diagram?

I have an Audi A4 2.8L showing a P0401 trouble code. Haynes repair manual does not show the location of the EGR valve or the parts immediately around it.

Can anyone help with a picture or a link to an engine diagram? Many thanks.
backtosand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 37725

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtosand View Post
I have an Audi A4 2.8L showing a P0401 trouble code. Haynes repair manual does not show the location of the EGR valve or the parts immediately around it.

Only on the 96-97 12 valve V6.

Rear of Bank 2 under the cruise control vacuum tank.

If you are getting an EGR insufficient flow, do not replace the valve.It is the EGR passage between the valve and the manifold that is blocked.

This is a recurring problem with the 12 valve and changing the valve doesn't fix it.
2003 A4Q 1.8T (sold)
1996 A4Q (sold)
AudiMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 173676

Quote:

Here is a link to another AudiMick reply dating back to Dec 2008 detailing a little further on what needs to be done plus a bonus pic .

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=349809

You should, in the future, do a search first before asking for help. If you are unsure what is the best way to do a search, I'd be more than happy to help.

Good Luck!

Montreal, Quebec (Canada)

"Ever notice how people who tell you to calm down...are the ones that got you mad in the first place."

Last edited by Old Dog; 10-28-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the assistance. You mention a link but I don't see it. Please repost.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:51 AM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 173676

Quote:
Thanks for the assistance. You mention a link but I don't see it. Please repost.
Woops sorry. Must have had a senior's moment . The link is now included where it should have been in the first place.

Take care.

Montreal, Quebec (Canada)

"Ever notice how people who tell you to calm down...are the ones that got you mad in the first place."
Old Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default DIY Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
Woops sorry. Must have had a senior's moment . The link is now included where it should have been in the first place.

Take care.
Thanks, Old Dog and AudiMick. The info helped greatly.

New question: On the floor of the black plastic air duct behind the throttle body is a 2-inch rubber "flapper valve" that allows recirculated gases to enter the intake manifold under positive pressure (my guess anyway). The mat is torn and non functioning so I removed it. Replacement of the entire duct piece with a new rubber valve is roughly $130. How important is this valve? Any harm if I operate without the piece in place?

Note to other ham-fisted DIY's: You will pay dearly for breaking the plastic hoses that lead into the air duct behind the throttle body, as I have done. They are quite brittle. Replacement cost is more than $120 for each hose!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #7
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 37725

Quote:
Thanks, Old Dog and AudiMick. The info helped greatly.

New question: On the floor of the black plastic air duct behind the throttle body is a 2-inch rubber "flapper valve" that allows recirculated gases to enter the intake manifold under positive pressure (my guess anyway). The mat is torn and non functioning so I removed it. Replacement of the entire duct piece with a new rubber valve is roughly $130. How important is this valve? Any harm if I operate without the piece in place?

Note to other ham-fisted DIY's: You will pay dearly for breaking the plastic hoses that lead into the air duct behind the throttle body, as I have done. They are quite brittle. Replacement cost is more than $120 for each hose!
That valve effectively acts as your PCV , it allows the blow by gases to be vented into the intake , removing the (non return) valve allows air from the intake to be drawn into the crankcase.

I don't know if it will cause a problem. Some people have spliced in regular "autoparts store" PCVs into to the vent lines to maintain the correct pressure relationship. Some have modified the system and gone with a catch can, which is better since it stops the EGR re-blocking up.
2003 A4Q 1.8T (sold)
1996 A4Q (sold)
AudiMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
18t, 2007, 20t, 96, a4, a6, audi, diagram, diy, egr, engine, fix, locating, p0401, picture, tiguan, valve, vw