A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

white smoke coming from exhaust on 99 audi b5 1.8t

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke coming from exhaust on 99 audi b5 1.8t

For a while, I noticed that there has been white smoke coming my exhaust when I turn on my car and let it run. It would stop when I take off. However, I haven't drove my car and in a week and when I turned my car on this morning, It was slow to start. The engine light came on and my coolant light kept blinking. I check the coolant resoivior and it was below min. Mind you only a month ago I topped it off. what could be wrong??
Old 09-14-2015, 01:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Only because I had a major coolant leak recently and help on the forums told me everywhere it was prob getting into my combustion chamber and getting blown out the exhaust. I kept losing coolant, but I never saw it dripping. Mechanic did a compression test and a block test (for head gasket) and also checked to see if there was coolant in my reservoir, thankfully there wasn't. Anyways, the mechanic was stumped. I went out and cycled about 7 gallons of distilled water through my system and put in the G12 then and ran the car 10 miles, got home and it was gushing out puddles up front. It was the water pump thank goodness.

I was never blowing white smoke, and if you can't see any drips (you might want to remove your belly pan so you can see everything under the car) then there is a possibility coolant could be leaking internally through head gasket. I hope thats not the case. But make sure your water pump isnt going bad. Mine was and got it replaced and now she runs great.

..just my two cents

Anyone on here will tell you the cheap things first..check all vacuum hoses and make sure they are all connected and not cracked (for loss of coolant). If your are blowing white smoke, could be a more serious issue though. Maybe do a compression test. If you don't have tools then have a shop do a compression test and a block test for the head gasket. My shop charged me $50 for both and checked oil to see if there was coolant in it.

Last edited by spaniel1287; 09-14-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mention17
For a while, I noticed that there has been white smoke coming my exhaust when I turn on my car and let it run. It would stop when I take off. However, I haven't drove my car and in a week and when I turned my car on this morning, It was slow to start. The engine light came on and my coolant light kept blinking. I check the coolant resoivior and it was below min. Mind you only a month ago I topped it off. what could be wrong??
You are burning coolant. You WILL destroy your catalytic converter if you continue to drive the car.

Coolant leaking into the combustion chamber is likely a bad head gasket. This means death for your catalytic converter. Get it fixed before your catalyst collapses and plugs up your exhaust.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ok well im taking it to the shop this week and I post any updates I get. I checked my oil and did not have a chocolate milk look to it. I also checked my coolant and there was no oil in there either. So I am hoping its the water pump. And the white smoke coming from my exhaust is not alot and it only appears when I first start the car. It stopped when i immediately take off. Ill post updates
Old 09-22-2015, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there oil in the coolant reservoir?
might be oil cooler cracked - known issue
or head gasket
Old 09-26-2015, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also you could have worn valve guides.. white smoke on start up.

This has to be checked at a shop..

hope you get it sorted

Regards
Smiladon