Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2003, 08:40 PM   #1
Account #: 53798

Default Why get a short shifter?

Please forgive the obvious question. I've done a search and everyone talks about which short shifter they prefer, but no one mentions why it's worth the $200.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of installing a short shifter? Is it worth it if it increases the notchy-ness of the transmission? What does the shorter throw get you?
Silver Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 08:42 PM   #2
AudiWorld Expert
Account #: 16447

Default basically more precise shifting feel (less sloppiness) and shorter throws between gears.

n00b FAQ | 2003 Official AudiWorld Postwhore | Got questions? | Audi Maintenance Schedules | It's the truth!
ex-quattro PETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:06 PM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 23867

Default I've put some thought into this as well

Pros: It tactically feels a little bit better, like you're driving a sporty car. The 'snick' a SS makes into gear is pretty sweet when you're doing a lot of city driving.

Shorter throw - Probably increases your qtr. mile time a bit, and the 'row' is just shorter, period.

Looks - this is subjective, but most SS are shorter in appearance and some like it that way.

Possible cons:
It takes more effort to shift for most SS kits. I had a Neuspeed in my 98.5. When you're, say, driving fast in the canyons, you might not care for the snick, but just want the easiness and ergonomics of the regular shifter for quick and reliable shifting; because you can't afford to miss a shift in such situations.
-Ergonomics: most SS kits lower the height making it less comfortable in some situations. If you like the stock height, then go with one that keeps stock shifter height. I think UUC is pretty good in that respect.

All I can think of right now.... hope this helps. -J

Current cars:
- 2005 BMW 325i (black on black)
- 2004 Honda S2000 (Sebring Silver w/ black & red two-tone interior)-
Bilstein PSS9 coil-overs-
- 2006 Acura MDX (charcoal)

Never forgotten:
- 98.5 A4 1.8T -
E-codes-Neuspeed Bilstein's w/ OEM sport springs-RS4 grille-K&N panel-OEM exhaust tips-clear markers-GReddy TT-APR chip-TT 710 DV-17x7.5 Audi 'Type RS4' wheels-Neuspeed SS-S4 aluminum trim-LLTek HIDs-S4 wheel liner-Neuspeed rear sway
-2002 A4 1.8T (Brilliant Black w/ black interior)-
Revo programming-Sparco pedals-LLTek HIDs-H&R coil-over suspension-18x8 Audi OEM Type RS4 w/ S0-3s-TT "710 N" BPV-GReddy turbo timer-EVO Motorsports intake
Joe N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:13 PM   #4
Account #: 53798

Default Thx, Missing Shifts?

If getting a SS increases the risk of missing a shift then doesn't that counteract the performance gain? I think I've read a post where people's problems going from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th have been exacerbated by the SS. Do the advantages of SS outweigh this major disadvantage.
Silver Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:24 PM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's a tough question. I'd say it depends on your model year.

In my 2002 1.8T, I'm going to keep my stock shifter unless UUC or equivalent comes out with one that's smooth.

In my 98.5 that had a push-down stock shifter, I couldn't stand how the shifter 'sank' when going across the neutral-plane area. It was just too mushy and didn't feel right for my driving preference, so the Neuspeed SS was worth it.
My 2002 shifter feels a little soft (so does the clutch, IMO), but I prefer it over the Neuspeed shifter because the stock ergonomics are perfect with my armrest, etc.
i sometimes felt that the Neuspeed SS in my 98 was not too helpful in canyon driving - you almost have to be too precise in your shift. I think the UUC would've fit me better, even though the throw reduction is less on the UUC.

Current cars:

Never forgotten:
- 98.5 A4 1.8T -
E-codes-Neuspeed Bilstein's w/ OEM sport springs-RS4 grille-K&N panel-OEM exhaust tips-clear markers-GReddy TT-APR chip-TT 710 DV-17x7.5 Audi 'Type RS4' wheels-Neuspeed SS-S4 aluminum trim-LLTek HIDs-S4 wheel liner-Neuspeed rear sway
Revo programming-Sparco pedals-LLTek HIDs-H&R coil-over suspension-18x8 Audi OEM Type RS4 w/ S0-3s-TT "710 N" BPV-GReddy turbo timer-EVO Motorsports intake
Old 03-31-2003, 09:26 PM   #6
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Also keep in mind I kept using my stock stick shift ****-; weighting is mediocre.

Current cars:

Never forgotten:
- 98.5 A4 1.8T -
Old 03-31-2003, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
20, a6, advantages, audi, disadv, disadvantages, height, neuspeed, notchy, shifter, shifters, short, tfsi, tt, uuc