A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

02' A4 3.0 V6 Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02' A4 3.0 V6 Timing Belt

Hi all,
I need some advice on the cost of having my timing belt replaced. My current mileage is 73000 and best do it now rather than when it breaks. My question is around cost. My local (Bay Area) mechanic (exclusively works on Audi) has quoted $4,000. I think that sounds high and he said there were other items which needed to be fixed while they had access to this part of the engine. I am not knowledgeable and unable to have an informed conversation with him, but he mentioned pullys, waterpump, serpentine belt, hoses, etc. My research would suggest these are generally part of a timing belt replacement and not additional work. He mentioned one or two other things but they didn't sound significant.
So, my first question is, is this an appropriate amount?
My next question is should I be putting 4K into a car which KBB and Edmonds both quote as only worth around 4K.
I love my Audi, and it is in good shape. I feel safe and love the drive. I wouldn't be able to purchase a comparable model new so should I do the work, or throw that 4K to a down payment on a new used car. I want to keep it, but it may have hit the point when every other month is $500 of work.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

$4k seems very high for a 3.0 V6 timing belt job, even one that includes replacing the water pump, pulleys, tensioner, etc. I've never heard of anyone replacing hoses as part of a timing belt job.

It's been a while since I last had the timing belt replaced on my 2002 A4 3.0, but I think it was done for under $2k by an independent Audi exclusive mechanic, and that job included replacing all the items listed above, but no hoses were replaced.

FWIW, I have 291,000 miles on my A4 and I've never any hoses replaced.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just had the head rebuilt on my 03' A4 1.8L. Timing belt + Water pump + serpentine + gaskets $2650. East Coast.

My belt broke while driving so I had many bent valves. Since the belt hasn't broken on you 4k sounds really high.

I would shop around.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

I would also say that is really a high price. For instance, a whole kit of likely everything needed is about $535 at Blauparts.com including coolant. My son-in-law and I did this job on my '05 3.0, when it was my Daughter's car, in one day (he's an actual German-car technician). So even at $100 per hour each for two people, that would make the total closer to $2,000.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

4k is way to high for a timing belt. I picked up a whole timing belt kit from idparts.com for my jetta for about 450( cheaper if your in US I had to pay exchange rate) then another 350 to install it.from my local backyard mechanic. If you getting it done by a shop and buying the parts from a shop you shouldn't pay more then 2k and that is a high number. Audi might charge you a million dollars so don't use them. But a normal shop should be ok.