A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

02 A4 Quattro 3.0 Timing help

Old 06-23-2015, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 A4 Quattro 3.0 Timing help

Hello...
I've completed the installation of a water pump and timing belt. Water pump was successfully installed. Timing belt, I'm hoping so... first timing belt, first interference engine. First timing anything... Google educated :-)

Before I crank the engine over, I want to manually crank to ensure there's no interference with valves. I'm going to remove my spark plugs to release pressure allowing easier crank rotation. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

I'd like to know.. things, sounds, anything I should look or listen for. Any advice/comments are greatly appreciated..

I'll be doing this check tomorrow..

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

If there is valve / piston interference, you will know because you won't be able to turn the motor by hand unless you can put enough torque on it to bend metal. Having said that and in reading the forums, keep in mind that on the 3.0, you could still be a tooth off resulting in no mechanical interference, but far enough off that it won't run properly.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great info, thank you...

So here's the breakdown:

- water pump pulley collapsed causing the timing belt to rub against the side. Timing belt did stay in tact but because of the rubbing, I needed to change it. Water pump install is fine..
-I didn't have quick access to the proper cam holding tool which requires the removal of valve cover. I ended up using a universal DOHC holding tool that holds the camshaft pulleys so they won't move.
-After aligning to TDC, I removed the timing belt. The driver side cam tool stayed in place along with the crankshaft. The passenger side tool slipped a bit causing both cams(passenger side only) to turn a couple of teeth, according to the before picture I took prior to removing the belt.

Now, I have the proper tool coming my way and this is what I'm planning:
1. Take valve covers off
2. Install the cam tool on drivers side.
3. Try to install the cam tool on the passenger side and if it needs a couple of hair turns of the cam pulleys to adjust, then I'll adjust accordingly until the cam tool slides in without pressure.
4. Replace timing belt and manually turn the engine over via the crankshaft bolt. Clockwise with at least 2 full rotations listening for any abnormalities causing valve interference.
5. If all goes as planned, I will start the engine.

Do you think I'm on the right track here?
Old 07-01-2015, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like it although the only V6 I have done is a Nissan which has very clear timing marks and my understanding is the Audi does not.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You are on the right track. If you made good marks taking it apart and align everything to your marks, you should have no problem. Put a long extension in #1 cylinder anyway just as another guage for TDC when turning the engine.

I popped off the valve covers and used the cam lock tools and it was a relatively easy job. The worst part is one PITA t30 torx screw for the driver's side valve cover. I bent a torx screwdriver into an L shape.

A couple other things that come to mind:
I found it helpful to have a second person when putting the belt on and tensioning it. Same with serpentine belt.
And if you are replacing rollers and tensioner with the timing belt(highly recommended) pay attention to how they come off and go on. Its possible to put the ecentric pulley upside down. When your sure you have it right, pull the pin on the grenade/tensioner.