A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

105° in CA, no A/C, FML...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 105° in CA, no A/C, FML...

I love my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T. It feels like quality and looks great. However, the recent blistering California has made things untenable inside the A4. First off, the passenger door power went kaput (no windows or locks). I am going to inspect the wiring tomorrow, and I think I have a good shot of figuring that out. To make matters worse, the A/C is also kaput. My better half goes from queen princess to queen b in seconds flat when we have to go anywhere.

Backstory:
(1) The A/C compressor shelled early 2014. Replaced the compressor, receiver/drier, and orifice tube. Good to go.
(2) In early 2015 new compressor (presumably) started making some metallic clicks that got progressive worse over a single day and A/C went dead again. Compressor under warranty, replaced again, no fix. System seems to blow hot/warm air at all times, even when off.
(3) Present day.

After the last compressor change the shop pulled the following code:

The pretty good thread here states that the code is "Air Recirc Flap". The thread also has good pictures. I was thinking of taking out the glovebox and taking a look at the flapper motors. Does anyone have experience with this issue or can support a good troubleshooting path forward?

Shop also noted the following data:
- Climate Control applying .8 A
- Duty Cycle is 68%

Thank you all in advance.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thoughts

Does anyone have any thoughts on my above inquiry? I was hoping to take a swing at that the problem this weekend.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

"My better half goes from queen princess to queen b in seconds flat when we have to go anywhere." LMAO

Well I can offer you the insight that at least you don't live in Phoenix, Arizona like I do, where its 115 on a good day!!

A few things that come to mind without digging deeper; did you figure anything out about the passenger door? I'd check into my fuses if I were you, just to be sure you have all your bases covered. I found this link Odd problem: Door won't lock, windows don't work and when door is open DIS don't say
It might be of some help to you in that department.

"(from that link)
02-09-2010 08:20 AM #8
FoRbAnNa

Senior Member Three Rings <dl class="userinfo_extra"><dt>Join Date</dt><dd>Jan 02 2010</dd><dt>AZ Member #</dt><dd>52824</dd><dt>My Garage</dt><dd>2006 A4 B7 DTM 2.0T Quattro</dd><dt>Location</dt><dd>Norway</dd></dl>
My Photo Gallery: 0

Long shot but, have you checked all the fuses? I would pull the rubber sealing tube thing that the cables from the door to the car is in, and check if any of the cables are cracked or the wire is exposed in any way, maybe there is a short.. Audi have used some badass stiff cables so they will eventually crack inside the rubber tube thing between the door and the car. For instance my speaker cables from the the car to the driverside door had 5 cracks in them when I replaced them about a year ago.. Definitively a possibility of cracks or short between the door and car."

As far as your AC, the thread you linked looks pretty good. The stepper motor could've gone bad, and if you have access to a volt meter, you could check that fairly quickly.

I'm not fairly familiar with Air Conditioning, and my first two cars had the same problem as yours. I definitely will look deeper into this when I have some free time, because it'll eventually bother me enough to look deeper. Hopefully you get better advice by then because I'm definitely no expert.

Good luck mate!

-Catalyst
Old 06-23-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Catalyst,

Thank you for the insight on the door. After I took the door off I did a thorough visual inspection of the hinge conduit, but did not find any damage. I shook down all the lines and found a connector attached to the controller loose (see below). I clicked it back in and everything works again. Wife is happier already (;

Now the A/C...I think I need a good schematic for the AIRCON/Heater system in order to troubleshoot further. I think it is a valve of some sort, but I don't have any references.

Does anyone have a A/C schematic for a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T that I could work off of???

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2015, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C'mon guys, it's a dry heat! hahaha I kid. 115F in Phoenix feels like 85F here in MA however you can't sweat and therefore it's a lot more comfortable if you can imagine that.

On the AC, I don't have a schematic, however if this is potentially a flapper door in the interior. You should be able to confirm that the ac compressor is working by looking at the front of it and looking to see that it is spinning. Also the tubes for the ac in the engine bay..one should be cold and sweating if the unit is working.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you hooked up gauges to read high and low side of the system? See if the compressor is really working, or that the high side is not ridiculously high like a blockage, or cooling fans not working. Over pressure high side can damage the compressor and there will be no cooling. Low needs to be around 40psi even up to 50 if its super hot. High side will get 250 even 350 on super hot days idling. If its 400+ theres a problem, either over charge, blockage, or no fan cooling the condenser.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have been trying to resolve the air recirc flap myself. I had a 00735 adaptation exceeded. What would happen is that sometimes the fresh and recirc motors would work and sometimes they wouldn't resulting in both being closed so there was no air to blow. I went through a bunch of trouble shooting and now the recirc motor works but the fresh is intermittent. So I just disconnected it (left wires connected) and manually set the flaps open. So I don't have control but at least air blows now.

Now I've got to figure out why the AC doesn't work.