A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2003 Audi A4 3.0L Avant Quattro Torque Converter Problem

Old 01-15-2015, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Audi A4 3.0L Avant Quattro Torque Converter Problem

So have this 2003 Audi A4 Avant Quattro, it's a 3.0L Triptronic, and I've had it about 7 years now, it had 46k when it was new to me and now it has 170k, got the timing belt done at 90k, and a terrible non-dealer shop did it, but still didn't have any trouble till last year. The water pump ended up going, probably cause the shop did't change it when they did the belt, so decided from then on I would be better doing the work myself then over paying someone to break my car, so went to do the water pump and little to my knowledge it was way more of a under taking then originally thought. Purchased the Bentley repair manual, a timing belt/water pump kit and rented cam locks. Shortly after the car was back together I started noticing the RPM's staying very high and it shifting super late when the car is in drive. Now it's like driving around with Launch Control, first gear will not engage until the engine is at least at 3000 rev's or more, it's like being in a slingshot, so at this point the car can't be driven on the road, like the water pump and timing belt I plan on doing this repairs my self, although very lost on what else should be replaced at the same time, or if the torque converter is the underlying issue, could a sensor be making it not engage properly? When the car does hook up, it's solid, sets you back in the seat so hard it will hurt your neck and all four wheels break lose even on pavement. Has anyone come across a similar issue, or could shed some light on the process, maybe a list of components that are needed and should be checked during the repair, Also do not have a lift, so getting under the car is very difficult, is it a stretch to remove the whole engine? Cause the exhaust needs to be replaced as well, Cats and all because of a recall on bad coils that allowed unburnt fuel to leak into them, now they fail emissions, If anyone can give me any information it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Attached Images