A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

after i replaced the battery, key fob problems. 1 works, one has problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after i replaced the battery, key fob problems. 1 works, one has problems

Ok, so i've done a lot of searching and still haven't quite figured out a solution.

Basically, i replaced my battery, and after doing so, had to reset my keys. No problem, followed the instructions in the manual (push UL button, put key in ignition, turn to ON, turn to OFF, take key out, push UL button). That worked for the first key.

Then i went to do that for the second key, and instead, it gave different problems. First, it'll say "SAFE" in the Odometer instead of the mileage.

Then either of 2 things will happen. If i last unlocked the doors with the 1st key, it'll start the car (still says "safe" in the Odo) but after a few seconds the hazards will flash and they won't stop.

OR

If i unlocked w/ this 2nd key, it'll say "safe" in the odo, but when i start the car, it'll cut off after one second.

Meantime the first key still works. The only posts i saw that seem to say something related are in this thread about the Key Reader:
https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/1095114.phtml

hoping i don't need to do that though since at least 1 of my keys works.

any ideas?
Old 06-06-2008, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scan the Instrument cluster for immo DTCs.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

immo DTCs?? what's that?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Pop the battery of the key fob... might do the trick.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default tried that a couple times. Made me have to reset that key, but same thing. Thinking about unhooking

the car battery and seeing if it'll kill both again and reset everything... but wondering if i'd have to disconnect both terminals. the Positive is a pain to put on onto the new battery, so not looking forward to doing that.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

well, i tried disconnecting the battery again. made me reset the remotes, but same situation exists
Old 06-07-2008, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Immobilizer Diagnostic Trouble Codes. ...

The second key, when the engine starts and dies again after a second or two, is due to the immobilizer killing the engine because it does not recognize the transponder in the second key fob. If there are any DTCs stored, they may pinpoint the cause of the problem with the second key. BTW, the immo transponder in the key fob, works entirely from the inductive reader coil in the ignition switch, and does not require any battery power in the remote. The Key/immo transponder and the remote radio transmitter are separate independent devices.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default so where would I see DTCs stored? besides the "safe" appearing in the odo instead of the mileage?

and how do i fix them?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A VAG-COM diagnostics software and OBD2 interface cable is required to scan the instrument cluster..

for immo DTCs. Or, the dealer can use the factory scan tool for a fee. Most generic OBD2 scan tools can't access the instrument cluster or other controllers other than the engine exhaust emissions data. There are also several lists on the internet for VAG-COM owners available to scan your car for you. The specific fix needed, depends on what if any, DTCs are stored as active faults, generally involves replacing the faulty component/s.
For example, if the immo is faulty, a new instrument cluster is required, and only a dealership can configure the new immo security.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default new Instrument cluster=new immo security?? IIiiinteresting. I had mine replaced a few months back

so would they have needed both of my keys to reprogram them when they did that?

Quick Reply: after i replaced the battery, key fob problems. 1 works, one has problems