A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Another Overheating Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Overheating Thread

Hello. All. My mechanic and are stumped on why the car is overheating. The water pump and thermostat has been replaced 3 total times. The first time, a local shop replaced it with an older version with the plastic impeller which eventually broke again. My mechanic (who was an Audi tech before opening his own shop) then repaired it with a newer metaled one. Everything was fine and dandy for a few months but it started overheating again. I took it back and he replaced the water pump and thermostat again just in case. Didn't fix it. He replaced the radiator. Problem didn't go away. Although I was getting heat just fine, he blew out the heater core and a bunch gunk came out but the overheating didn't go away. He re-bled the cooling system and it seemed to have helped, but still, overheated. Just took more time to do so.

It only overheats when I'm stuck in traffic and when it does, all I do is rev it up a few times in neutral and the temp goes down. AC works great. Once, I pulled over and both fans were spinning. I'm not leaking coolant anywhere and recently had the head gasket repaired. As soon as I start moving, it cools back down to normal.

At this point, I'm not sure what could be the problem. He plugged it into the VAG and could start up both fans. No error codes pop up. I have a feeling it something small and simple that we're overlooking.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

1.8 or 3.0?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
1.8 or 3.0?
Sorry, its a 1.8.

Something else to add is...from a cold start its more unlikely to overheat. My commute to work isn't that bad. We're talking less that 5 miles. There is a stretch where I exit that there is traffic. This morning, I was stuck in it for around 8 minutes and had my eye on the temp gauge. It stayed right in the middle the whole time. I parked in front of my office and left the car on idle for another 10 to see if it would overheat and it didn't. Popped open the hood and the fans weren't spinning, which is normal right?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just another quick note, that in the morning, its been cold lately and I have my climate control set on Auto at 70 about 80% of the time. And since its on Auto, its going to blow out nice warm air in the morning and not so much in the afternoon or evening.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you ever changed the green temp sensor?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Have you ever changed the green temp sensor?
Is that the one below the radiator? I don't think so. What does that do? Thanks
Old 01-29-2015, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Looked it up and I don't think so. Its the one by the firewall. Looks pretty easy to change and seems like a 5-10 minute job and a fairly inexpensive part.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So I repalced the CTS and bled the system. Car still overheats. any other ideas to try? Thanks
Old 02-01-2015, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked the small bleed back hose to the reservoir tank is actually clear and allowing fluid back?
I haven't had this problem on the A4, but I had a BMW that had the same symptoms. There is a small (3/8 or 10mm) bleed hose to the tank, if that blocks, you get these conditions. I did the same as you, thermostat, water pump etc. Then blow out this hose with some compressed air and the smallest amount of gunk was just enough to cause a blockage.
Just a thought.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by John535is
Have you checked the small bleed back hose to the reservoir tank is actually clear and allowing fluid back?
I haven't had this problem on the A4, but I had a BMW that had the same symptoms. There is a small (3/8 or 10mm) bleed hose to the tank, if that blocks, you get these conditions. I did the same as you, thermostat, water pump etc. Then blow out this hose with some compressed air and the smallest amount of gunk was just enough to cause a blockage.
Just a thought.
I'll look into that. At this point, I'll try anything and everything that doesn't lead to me replacing the thermostat which was not fun.

After replacing the CTS, I've noticed that the situation has been reversed. Now, when I drive, the engine overheats to the point where to the coolant warning comes no. Then I park and idle and it cools down within a matter of seconds. Within 2 minutes, the temp will read right in the middle. So that leads me to believe the water pump is fine. I get fantastic heat as well.

Quick Reply: Another Overheating Thread