A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi 3.0L V6 timing belt service DIY (BWW)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt A4 3.0 Replacement Photos

Hi,
Thanks for the post. I am wondering if you can send me the photos that go with it. They are no longer on the site. If you can either e-mail them or put them back up, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Joe
Old 02-13-2015, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burlington71
Hi,
Thanks for the post. I am wondering if you can send me the photos that go with it. They are no longer on the site. If you can either e-mail them or put them back up, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Joe
Here you go:

AudiWorld Tech Articles - 3.0 V6 Timing Belt Service
Old 02-15-2015, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default cam tensioner

how to see if the cam tensioner is still functioning ok
Old 06-21-2015, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

*Bump

-IMG Links are no good.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Where are the pictures on the first page?
Old 09-04-2015, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Use the link in post #62. It has lots of pictures...
Old 06-05-2016, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2004 Audi a6 3.0 v6 cam timing

I recently purchased a audi a6. 2004 3.0 v6 . And tore it all apart to replace the head gaskets..rushing more then I should have I never marked anything . Well now i have my parts.. and I'm going to put everything back together and ran into the issue of cam timing.. I've read a lot on it and done my research and I know I need a cam tool! But I never marked anything to help me realign ..I'm wondering if anyone who has previously done this job and marked it.. if they took photos possibly or know where my marks are or should be.. I've purchased an e version of the repair manual and it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know..any help is much appreciated !!!!
Old 11-27-2016, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great writeup, and definitely helped me in replacing the water pump and timing belt on 2004 A6 Avant. I bought the cam tool kit, worked great. If anyone want the kit, I will sell it for 50 bucks. Both cam holders, the crank pin, a good pin to stick into the belt tensioner ( its the one that my new tensioner was shipped with, the cam socket tool, and the wrench for rotating the right side idler into place. I hope to never use it again :-). The job is time consuming, but relatively straightforward. Just takes patience.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I did timing belt job recently everything went good except for my cam tools did not fit the best and therefore did not take the cams loose I thought I had marked everything and got it together good and everything seemed great..runs awesome but now I got check engine light random misfire on driver side head but it doesn't feel like it misses or any other symptoms just the light someone on here said I must have installed it wrong so I plan on. Tearing it back down and redoing the job any advice you'll can give me will be appreciated .
Old 01-18-2017, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Eduardo Avila
I did timing belt job recently everything went good except for my cam tools did not fit the best and therefore did not take the cams loose I thought I had marked everything and got it together good and everything seemed great..runs awesome but now I got check engine light random misfire on driver side head but it doesn't feel like it misses or any other symptoms just the light someone on here said I must have installed it wrong so I plan on. Tearing it back down and redoing the job any advice you'll can give me will be appreciated .
Sorry to hear you'll have to redo work! If we are talking about the same engine (dual cams on each side), I found that I did have to position the two cam tools (the c-clamp looking devices), then unscrew the threaded rod on each to push the two sides of the tool away from each other, then rock the cams back and forth a little and repeat until the tools were snug against the cams. Then when following the instructions in sequence that came with the cam tools, it looked like the timing belt would be 1/2 tooth off on the cam gears on the driver's side. I had tried not to loosen the nuts on each cam pulley, thinking I could just put the belt on, but I finally removed the c-clips and caps on the pulleys, loosened them, and let the belt find its own happy spot, then torqued the pulleys back down. My only guess is that you may be one tooth off - but I've only done this particular job once, so I could easily be mistaken.

What cam tool did you use?

Quick Reply: Audi 3.0L V6 timing belt service DIY (BWW)