A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi A4 1.8T 2003 -Mysterious Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 1.8T 2003 -Mysterious Coolant leak

I have an Audi A4 1.8T 2003, i got it with the coolant leak problem already. The car only has 130k everything was changed on 110k (turbo, timing belt etc). The car was owned by the girl, and the coolant that they put it was not B12-13, something else. For a while the car would stop loosing coolant, but recently i found time to flush the system and put proper B12 coolant in it, after that it started leaking a lot. Here is some pictures from the bottom of the car, the coolant is leaking showing on the oil sensor.
Attached Images    
Old 10-30-2014, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Today i took the alternator apart to really see where does it leak from and here it is (pictures bellow). I have the second most reliable in the world car Subaru outback so i can take time an work on this one without any rush. Anyway form the pictures what do i need to do here? what parts need to be replaced? What do all the pictures tell you?

Additional info: Car doesn't overheat even if i dont add coolant, runs with no problems, spar-plugs a clean as whistle. If i take the thermostat off what do i need to reseal it? To me looks like it's that thermostat elbow that is leaking, shell i get a new thermostat as well? and there do i get the elbow, and how to seal it? May be i just need to reseal it?

Thank you.
Attached Images      
Old 11-02-2014, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be replacing the thermostat, if you get the kit from ECS (P/N 06B121111KKT) or whoever you purchase your parts from they have a kit (either Genuine parts or aftermarket) that has the thermostat in the housing, a new O ring, the J plug and bolts etc. It's mounted in such a fiddly spot if you are going to pull it off to 'check it' I would just replace it with new, same amount of effort, judging from the photo's you need a new O ring and J plug so replacing the thermostat after 12 years is worthwhile, especially if the engine has had some coolant that you don't know the origin of, some 'gunk' can settle around the thermostat and create problems.
I had to do the water pump on mine recently, surprising how much water the system can loose and not overheat, probably points to a very efficient cooling system design on these engines.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by John535is
I would be replacing the thermostat, if you get the kit from ECS (P/N 06B121111KKT) or whoever you purchase your parts from they have a kit (either Genuine parts or aftermarket) that has the thermostat in the housing, a new O ring, the J plug and bolts etc. It's mounted in such a fiddly spot if you are going to pull it off to 'check it' I would just replace it with new, same amount of effort, judging from the photo's you need a new O ring and J plug so replacing the thermostat after 12 years is worthwhile, especially if the engine has had some coolant that you don't know the origin of, some 'gunk' can settle around the thermostat and create problems.
I had to do the water pump on mine recently, surprising how much water the system can loose and not overheat, probably points to a very efficient cooling system design on these engines.
Thank you John for you replay an advice. So i went ahead and bought a new plug from Audi Dealership ($15). I decided to just change the plug, since doesn't look like the thermostat is leaking or has any issues. Dont ask how, but i was able to take it off with Open Ended wrench (barely got my hand in the), and the half of the plug stock inside. I had to take the thermostat off as well. I put a new plug old aftermarket thermostat (the one is there is was not the original), all o-rings and gaskets were in pristine condition. So, put a new coolant (b12) and so far no problems, and no leaks, and heater works as intended (I drove about 300 miles). I should mention I had to buy some tools from HarborFrieght, but trust me it was worse it. Im sure dealership would charge me at least $400-500 just for labor, and i did it with less then $60 with the parts.=)

here is the video, how this Eastern European guy does it for less then 30 min