A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi A4 1.8T disappearing coolant

Old 02-24-2014, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 1.8T disappearing coolant

Hello. My girlfriend has a problem with her audi, its an -02 A4 1.8 Turbo.

The coolant disapears, and quite a lot of it. Also there is no warm air inside the car exept if you are holding it on 2000rpm+ for a while.
Nothing in the oil and no smell of exhaust gases in the coolant tank. Also no signs of any kind of leak.(winter here so it would be very visible)
The car also runs perfectly.

I changed the engine warmer in the car so i drained the coolant system, refilled and aired it out.
The car has not overheated, but the first time we used the warmer the engine temp was at 125C° for a couple of secs when we started it.

Could it be the head gasket? Any way to be sure?

Appreciate the help
Old 02-24-2014, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I would not jump to head gasket yet. I would stick with leak until you have some obvious head symptoms which you don't have yet. First a question; How much are you leaking? Second, Several places are common and you are looking for pink residue:

1) Aft flange: this should be easy to see if it is leaking.
2) Heater line hose: this should be easy to see also.
3) J plug: should be easy to see. It is right behind the thermostat.
4) Thermostat. Can be difficult to see
5) Finally, radiator. This can be difficult to see also.

Two more questions: Does the car warm up "normally" and run just over 80 degrees and when did the heater stop working well?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking for a leak for 6 months until the coolant finally poured out. Had the same symptoms as you no obvious leak and the temp would go up for short periods....it was the thermostat.....bought it at the dealership......not a bad job just a little annoying but not bad.....
Old 02-24-2014, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lyleswk
I would not jump to head gasket yet. I would stick with leak until you have some obvious head symptoms which you don't have yet. First a question; How much are you leaking? Second, Several places are common and you are looking for pink residue:

1) Aft flange: this should be easy to see if it is leaking.
2) Heater line hose: this should be easy to see also.
3) J plug: should be easy to see. It is right behind the thermostat.
4) Thermostat. Can be difficult to see
5) Finally, radiator. This can be difficult to see also.

Two more questions: Does the car warm up "normally" and run just over 80 degrees and when did the heater stop working well?
I've bee having problems with loosing coolant and not having heat except at RPM above 2000 you said something about obvious head problems what are they. I've changed rear coolant flange, thermostat/ J plug, timing belt/water pump, the heater core power flushed, and changed a couple of hoses. I may hve solved the coolant loose the heat problem persists.If anyone has any ideas I'm all out except for replacing the heater core. thanks.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The car leaks about 1.5-2 litres a week, no difference if it just sits or if we are driving it.

The engine temp acts completely normal.

The day after the warmer replacement is when the heater stopped working.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

A liter a week? Wow. I can't see how you wouldn't see residue somewhere. When you say warmer, are you talking the heater core?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

A liter a week? Wow. I can't see how you wouldn't see residue somewhere. When you say warmer, are you talking the heater core?

Yes thats why its so wierd.

No its a coolant hose warmer for when its cold outside. There is probably a better word for it in english but i dont know
Old 02-25-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This is connected to an "external" coolant warmer? If so, it may not be replenishing the coolant each time it is disconnected. I have never heard of that product, only block warmers.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is connected to an "external" coolant warmer? If so, it may not be replenishing the coolant each time it is disconnected. I have never heard of that product, only block warmers.
No it looks like this (attached pic), and it becomes part of the coolant system when installed, not external.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So that simply warms and circulates coolant? I am from Texas, so that is not something we worry about

Anyway, after all that, I would suggest you do a head check. I can not see that much coolant leaking without some external sign. A mechanic will pressurize the coolant system and see if it leaks down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi A4 1.8T disappearing coolant