A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

B6 1.8t turbo blanket options

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B6 1.8t turbo blanket options

Hi All,

I've exhausted my google-fu searching up and down the internet for any info on fitting a turbo blanket to a B6 A4 1.8t, but have come up with nothing. There is a reasonable amount of info for transverse VAG turbos, but unless I'm missing something, precious little for inlines.

So then, has anybody here fitted a turbo blanket to their 1.8t and if so, what sort, where did you get it from and what was your experience?

Cheers, Dan.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Owned 5 turbo cars and never heard of a "turbo blanket". Sounds like it would just hold heat in causing accelerated oil coking and increase charge temperature. Maybe someone can explain the benefit...
Old 12-06-2016, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The benefits of a turbo blanket are pretty well known; reduced intake temps and a generally cooler engine bay. See here for example: VWVortex.com - HYDE16 Reviews - PTP Turbo Blankets K04 Lava Turbo Blanket

I live in a rather hot part of the world, so keen to explore anything which will assist temp management.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I get the generally cooler engine bay temps, especially since I assume the location of the turbo on the VWs is the same as the TT, i.e. by the fire wall. What long term effect of 20 degrees cooler temps in the engine bay is debatable. The obvious big difference in the A4 is that there is a lot more airflow over the turbo just based on it's installation.

As far as the charge side being cooler, I'd like to see the data on that. What I mean by that is measured with and without the blanket at the turbo compressor exit which is hard to do.

let the debate rage...