A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

B6 1.8T very loud ticking?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B6 1.8T very loud ticking?!

Alright, long story short. 3 months ago torque converter and brass bushing inside oil pump seized up together and started dumping fluid everywhere. Trans was repaired by a reputable local shop. New pump/seals/torque converter/fresh diff fluid(lucas synthetic 75w-90), and Redline DT4 ATF.

Finished up the car a few days ago, and upon starting it to fill the trans everything seemed ok. No CEL's in the engine, or trans. Was shifting between gears when I started it up and ran it from P to D and back to get fluid through the transmission, so that I could add more.

Now for the bad...It has a quite loud "ticking" noise. It increases with engine speed and seems to get a bit higher pitched(hard to explain), when I shift in a gear such as park, or drive it will momentarily go away when the idle speed is lowered. It seems to be loudest on the passenger side, although it's very hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. I have had my mechanics stethoscope all over the engine, transmission, differentials, bellhousing etc etc etc. and absolutely cannot figure out where it's coming from. All I can tell is, it's quite a bit louder on the passenger side.

Now I was thinking, perhaps it's the turbo to cat exhaust gasket? I re-used the old one when I put the car back together. It doesn't seem to vary at all when the temperature of the engine increases, which discourages me as a lot of exhaust leaks will go away when the engine is warmed up. At the same time, I'm leaning towards exhaust because I can't seem to find anywhere in the engine/trans with my stethoscope that sounds like it's' originating from. Everything sounds clean and smooth as far as I can tell.

Any thoughts/opinions on this would be great and very very much appreciated as I'm so eager to get this car back on the road!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I (DIY)replaced my Turbo, I also stared to hear loud ticking noise while idling... and it was the turbo to cat exhaust gasket...The Gasket had split and therefore leaking exhaust pressure and you literary hear the ticking noise of exhaust valves at work...

Replace the gasket...and copper sealant...Quiet as a purring puppy.

Goodluck