A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Windshield

So last Friday I was driving home on the parkway at a relatively high rate of speed when something hit my windshield so hard it sounded like a gunshot. As soon as I got home, I washed it down looking for chips, cracks, etc., and could find NOTHING.

Last night I did some hard driving including a few sharp bumps that gave me a good jolt or two.

This morning I drove to work in the pre-dawn light. Uneventful.

An hour after I got to work, I got in my car to go meet a customer and there is a 10" long crack from the base of my windshield curling up from the driver's side wiper mount toward the middle of the windshiled. I noticed it before I even turned the key -- that's how big and noticeable it is. Thus, my long winded point being that it couldn't possibly have been there this morning. Since I park my car right outside my office window and there are no other cars near me, I'm totally dumbfounded.

The epicenter of the crack is in the black portion of the windshield about 3" from the bottom lip, so I suppose it's possible that I didn't notice it last Friday.

So my question is ... is it even remotely possible that an impact from last Friday could have taken a week to actually spread? Maybe the jolts I took last night weakened it? Can a crack just spread like that when the car isn't even in motion?

I have glass insurance, so it's not a huge deal, but it's a major pain in the ***.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-27-2005, 06:30 AM
Banned

Temp swings can help it spread.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Cracked Windshield

You could of had a small crack, unnoticeable in the black area of your windshield. During the hard driving the entire body of your car flexes, sought of like a giant spring.Your sway bars are stiffer because of the sport suspension and thats good, but the stiffer car transfers more flex to things like the windshield. THan the temp. change like gfink said took care of the rest. It should be painless to get a new windshield from your insurance company, I would reccomend specifying OEM glass as some of the replacement glass is pretty bad. This all just my opinion.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's just strange ...

that if it did happen last night, I didn't notice it this morning. Granted, it was dawn, but trust me when I tell you you'd notice this thing in a second if you sat in my driver's seat. Weird.

I'm going through the body shop that just did all the work and they're arranging for the windshield people to go THERE and do it, as opposed to doing it in my parking lot or going directly to the windshield place. At least this way the body shop can supervise the work.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:51 AM

Default Thats a good idea having the body shop supervise !!

People like the convenience of having it done at work or home,, but so many are installed improperly,, its scary!
Old 05-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Very possible

Had it happen to me. Had a rock hit the windshield, give me a small chip. Parked the car outside; when I came out at the end of the day had a crack practically across the width of the windshield.

Once a crack starts, it's very easy for it to propagate due to body flexing or else sunlight heating expanding it.

Personally, I tned to feel the OE windshields are more prone to rock chips and cracking than US replacement windshields - based on owning German cars since 1976. Have been satisfied with the "Vario" windshield I had installed to replace my cracked OE.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Solver!

O had the same problem with my credit card. Thank you all for the several ideias, that i used To solve mine! Atached pictures of the materials i used.
first i introduced the white cartoon with double face glue. Then i introduced the brown cartoon, folded At the Ending. Then i removed the white cartoon, inserting the brown one in the front.
it worked the first time i tryed!!! After several months i have Been trying To Get my credit card!!! Thank you all💪