A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

car shudders at low rpm while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the exact same issue! Anybody figure out what it is yet???

I have a 2002 A4 3.0L quattro with the 6 speed manual. If I'm cruising in 4th or 5th gear (sometimes 3rd) at low rpms (around 2000), it sometimes does a quick shudder, like it's misfiring, but then continues to run and idle fine. It never happens in 1st or 2nd... and it seems to me (although I could be wrong) that it's worse when I'm driving in snowy conditions. (I live in Michigan). It runs drives and idles perfect otherwise. It is well maintained and I've just recently replaced all of the spark plugs and ignition coils because it was misfiring on me bad a few weeks ago. I use premium fuel, mobile one oil, all the fluids and filters are new... I'm at a loss. I check the engine codes frequently and all I get anymore is "pin hole leak in Evap system" and "O2 sensor bank 1 yada yada"... Could it be a cam position sensor? My plan is to just keep driving it until it either breaks more, or until it triggers a default code that actually helps me... So frustrating. I have had a lot of small issues with this car, but I just can't justify getting rid of it because it looks and drives so nice, and I can do most repairs myself to save money.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I always seem to be the one that says don't worry about it, but don't worry about it. It sounds like normal drivetrain shudder at low rpm in the higher gears. You don't get it in the lower gears becuase of the gearing and maybe cold weather effect on engine / tranny mounts, etc. Don't go on a witch hunt until something is very obviously wrong.

My 2 cents.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the exact same problem, and it was driving me crazy, around 1500 to 2000 rpm upon acceleration there was a shudder, past that point it drove fine, idled fine, it ended up being time to replace my spark plugs, and voila, problem solved...... just might be something as simple as that.....
Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The original post is from 2009...I HOPE he found the solution by now.

For what its worth, everything everyone described sounds like ignition coils to me. Check to see if there was a recall on your model year. Dealer should replace for free.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Since the Audi is not my primary car, don't drive it much during the week. I had some time to drive it this weekend and as opposed to what I said below, it does not shudder all the way down to 1200 or so RPM in the higher gears. No power at all, but it didn't shudder.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by wanlijun
I searched the forum, just find limited information about my issue. When the car is moving and engine is running between 1500rpm to 2000rpm the car begins to shudder(jerk) as soon as I begin to accelerate. its only happen while acceleration. above 2000 rpm its running perfect fine.I noticed the speedometer of engine speed pointer continously jumped a little(3 degree to up and down) when i use cruise control to fix the speed from 30 to 60km/h. At idle the engine runs smooth with no signs of hesitation or roughness whether the car is at park, neutral or (D) positon. From a stop position and I continously accelerate even up to 60mph the car runs fine with no jerkiness of any sort. No sign of warning light on speedometer. I used VAG cable to scan the car, cant find related information of my jerk issue. Need your expertise/advice for those who have had similar problem or know of one. How was it solved? What is causing this problem. Thanks

I know this is an old thread, but I have exactly the same issue on the same car. A4 2002 2.0 avant.
Been told by some machanics tranny is faulty. Checked the right axle. Gators look okay and could not feel any play. Will check the left on the weekend. I can hear a hissing sound once engine is warmed up at the back of the block, So suspect a vacume leak somewhere as well. Hopping it's not the trans
Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Guys, did you consider replacing the spark plugs?

FWIW, I had the same on my CVT two liter, and this (and coil replacement on that cylinder with one of those "left over" in my trunk) did the trick.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Spark plugs were recently change. Don't think it's coils, as don't have any backfire or engine lights coming up. Going to Change coils anyway under the recall. See what happens. Should axle have some play? In and outwards.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Coils appear to be okay. Getting code 17887 on scan and suspect vacume leak. I can hear hissing once car is warmed up. If I squeeze pipe coming of TB hissing stops. But can't find leak. Could vacume leak cause the jerk at low rpm? Are there more vacume pipes below the intake?

Old 06-03-2015, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default possible causes (simple/cheap to difficult/expensive)

-run vcds save then clear codes.
-software see if tsb
- throttle body alignment needed
-throttle cleaning.
-vacuum leak.
-low atf
-plugs
-plugs and coils
-fuel filter

-other fuel issues

-----tranny issues.......

Quick Reply: car shudders at low rpm while accelerating