A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Car won't start - turn steering wheel - starts

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start - turn steering wheel - starts

I have an intermittent problem. For the past few weeks, sometimes when I push in the clutch and turn the key to start the car nothing happens other than getting power to the radio, wipers, etc. There is nothing from the engine. If I rotate the steering wheel back and forth a few times, then turn the key the engine will start. The problem is that this is happening more often and I am afraid I may get to a point where the car won't start.

Has anybody seen this? Recommendations to fix this?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2015, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I may have the answer to your problem. My son's AUDI Allroad had the same issues of engine not turning over, as well as the instrument lights were intermittently on, and off when the key is turned on. He could make the lights turn on and off, as well as it would occasionally start, by rocking the steering wheel back and forth, as well as pressing and releasing the clutch pedal. Then it got to a point where it just would not do anything.

The problem was caused by a poor ground from the battery to the body. In the battery tray area, there is a negative battery cable that is bolted to a thick wide aluminum bar. At the end of each side of that bar, there are two Allen head bolts bolting the aluminum bar to a thick metal bracket, which in turn, is bolted down with two large bolts 16 mm which fastens the bracket to the body. Remove the 16 mm bolts, and you will see it is rusty, and corroded. Clean the bolts completely with sand paper, as well as clean the brackets of any rust on both sides. (Top side and bottom side of where it bolts to the body). Also clean the body areas where the bolts hold it down to the body. That will restore yor ground, and all should be as good as new.

The reason the lights, and the starting is intermittent, when the steering wheel is rocked, as well as the clutch pedal is depressed, is due to the slight twist of the body. That slight twist will make the corroded ground make intermittent contact.

Hope this helps a lot of people out there from pulling their hair out trying to fix the problem.