A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Diesel sound like when gear engaged

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel sound like when gear engaged

Hi
I've been dealing with many issues on my A4 2003 1.8T Quattro Tiptronic since I bought it in October, last year.
To make it short, have changed timing belt, accessory belt, water pump, idler, coil packs, spark plugs, cam tensioner, diverter valve, and most of pipes and valves related to water and vacuum. It all started with a couple of error codes one related to the cam tensioner and the other to the thermostat. After a while realized it was just a fuse.
Anyway, the car had improved its performance, as when I got it, barely made it to 60mph. Now I can get into 80-85, but with a lot of pressure on the accelerator. Mileage is awful, around 14-15 mpg. In addition to all that, it is making a noticeable diesel like kind of sound, but only when the gear engages, and knocking noises when under load at low speeds. Like going uphill in a crowded neighborhood.
This problem seems very complex, from my point of view, and never expected when I bought it. I can drive the car around, but definitely have to do something with it
Would appreciate if anyone has seen problems like this and suggest previous posts that may address this situation.
One situation that may or may not contribute to the problem, is that one of the lower suspension came loose and pulled the entire axle out of its position, which was rebuilt to get it back in.
Again, appreciate the help!
Old 02-25-2017, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I realized that when gear engages, the entire engine shifts forward about a quarter of an inch, and that's where the sound starts.
Could it be the engine support or the gearbox?
Old 03-01-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 232 Posts

Definitely worth checking the status of your engine mounts then.