A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

esp and abs light on intermittently, no speedo

Old 11-16-2013, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default esp and abs light on intermittently, no speedo

Good afternoon guys,

A4 B6 QUATTRO, 5 speed, 120,xxx miles

Intermittent problem started occurring about a month ago and is becoming more common. When i drive to work in the morning (approximately 22 miles), i do not have any error lights. Eight hours later when i get in the car my esp and abs lights come on and it also prevents the speedo from working. Now if i simply pull out of the spot (5 feet), turn the car off and turn it back on the error lights are gone and everything works fine. Over a month ago, this would only happen around once a week, but now this happens probably every other day when i get out of work.

I do not get any check engine lights with the esp and abs lights and the car does not drive differently or make any noises (just the non working speedo). I had a fairly large coolant leak around a month ago and a bunch of stuff got coated in a nice layer of it one evening from the broken hose so i questioned whether i could have slightly messed up a sensor from that.

Any and all advice appreciated!y

- Ja
Old 11-18-2013, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Check battery voltage. 11.6v or less makes bad stuff happen like you describe
Old 11-19-2013, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

True. Measure the voltage with the car off; you should get 12 to 12.5. Start the car and measure the voltage again. You should be getting around 13.5 to 14. If that is okay, you will need to download codes using a VAGCOM reader to determine what sensor if failing off and causing the problem. If it is a sensor, it sounds like the speed sensor, but the only way to know is to downloads the codes.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen to me. Turned out to be the abs control module. Sent it to cheapabs and they repaired it for $120 or $150, if I remember correctly. A new one is around $900.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Will check the voltage after work today. I also ordered a vagcom cord to see the codes. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2013, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Voltage was in spec. My vag-com cable came today and i just snagged the code in the rain.

1 Fault found.

1 Fault Found:
00283 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Left (G47)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
Old 12-14-2015, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi jay, did you ever get this resolved? My wife's 2003 1.8T Quattro Avant gets the exact same symptoms and codes. We replaced 2 of the ABS sensors, but still same problem. Do we have to send the ABS Control Module in??

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2015, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi TSiSpy007, did you get any codes for your problem?

I had a similar problem, it ended up being the brake light switch down in the footwell. It took me a while to work out if you turned the ignition on without touching the brakes, the car would be fine, but after applying the brakes the ESP and ABS warning lights would come on. The good news is if this is the answer, the brake light switches are quite cheap and you can install it yourself.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you ever resolve this? I have the exact same issue on a '03 1.8T Quattro Avant too. Would be interested to know how you addressed it. I've already replaced a couple ABS sensors too.

Originally Posted by TSiSPY007
Hi jay, did you ever get this resolved? My wife's 2003 1.8T Quattro Avant gets the exact same symptoms and codes. We replaced 2 of the ABS sensors, but still same problem. Do we have to send the ABS Control Module in??

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

When you say "applying the brakes" do you mean while starting or after starting in general?

Originally Posted by John535is
Hi TSiSpy007, did you get any codes for your problem?

I had a similar problem, it ended up being the brake light switch down in the footwell. It took me a while to work out if you turned the ignition on without touching the brakes, the car would be fine, but after applying the brakes the ESP and ABS warning lights would come on. The good news is if this is the answer, the brake light switches are quite cheap and you can install it yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: esp and abs light on intermittently, no speedo