A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Explain the "Big Difference" between Audi and VW (long)

Old 11-27-2002, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another thing that comes to mind in regards to Audi problems...

If you hang around any forum long enough you will find problems with the cars. This is the largest audi forum in the world so of course problems are bound to be discussed. Thats how recalls and various issues get addressed, with the help of thousands of car enthusiasts. Do you belong to any VW forums? I'm sure theres plenty of VW problem issues being discussed on those forums too. I love VWs, just thinkin out loud here.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:34 AM

Default Different engine and tranny (CVT)

I drove a Passat GLX auto without 4Motion and after driving an A4 3.0 CVT, the differences are night and day. The GLX felt like my 99 A6 Quattro in acceleration-i.e. sluggish. While the fit and finish on the Passat was excellent, the A4 is much nicer and yes, the back seat in the Passat has more leg room but I can live with the reduced space. Here in Dallas, I've had no bad service experience with either Audi dealers so I can't complain about that. The bottom line difference in cost is around $4K which I'll gladly pay for a better warranty and service experience. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:35 AM

Default Hmm let's see......

You have driven the audi and have been inside one and you think it's same as a passat.

If you don't know the difference,then just get the passat and get out of here.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:38 AM

Default I agree with the statement that the cars are almost the same...

I have both and the Passat does have a nice interior. Real leather as apossed to leatherette. But the statement about quality is 100% false. The VW is always at the dealer. Window switch, airbag light, transmission three times. I have to say, with as many problems as you read about the Audi, it doen't compare to the nightmare that is VW service. My wife had a Bettle before, same deal. I was a bit shaken after the experience, but I ended up getting the Passat, and its the same story. I've had my A4 for a year now, and its chipped, has suspension, and a host of other aftermarket goodies, and I have never had a problem. This my friend is the difference.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:38 AM

Default Totally agree. I'm a member of ClubB5.

I'm sure that I've been numbed of the complaints on ClubB5 because I've seen them so much. Especially about service. I just think that if I'm buying a "high end" car that there shouldn't be problems with the radio and sunroof. Very basic stuff that even Hyundai doesn't neccesarily have problems with.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

4motion in the Passat is Torsen-based (same as ours). Other VWs have Haldex-based (same as TT).
Old 11-27-2002, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Hmm let's see......"Get out of here?" A bit harsh maybe?

Get over yourself.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Totally agree. I'm a member of ClubB5.

All german cars, bmw, mercedes, vw, will have small electrical problems.This problem is not limited to just audi.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:46 AM

Default It sounds like you have made up your mind.

My wife and I had never owned and Audi or VW, and I was intent on buying the Passat (although visually I much preferred the Avant). I wanted the 1.8T engine, but also wanted AWD. VWs 4Motion was only available with the 6cyl.

We went to a VW/Audi dealer to test drive the Passat. We liked the Passat. I was functional, and that was what we were looking for. We then decided to test drive the A4 Avant "just for kicks". Most decisions are based on first impressions, and our first impression of the Avant interior sold us. IMO the Passat is not in the same ballpark as the Avant. Materials, styling, function left the Passat feeling bland. The real selling point for us was STANDARD AWD. It comes down to personal preference, you need to get what you feel matches your needs.

We factory ordered our Avant the next day. Got it three months later. Have not stopped smiling since.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:53 AM
jjl

Default Drove my brother's Passat

although the switchgear looked similar, the cars are night and day. whether the a4 is worth the extra money is a personal matter, but to me it is. ride quality, interior quality, fit and finish, paint, i could go on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Explain the "Big Difference" between Audi and VW (long)