A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Fix It or Sell It

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix It or Sell It

New to the forum folks! Reading many posts over the last week, so have an idea of the possible problem but want to run it past the collective genius here...

Third owner of a ‘04 A4 1.8quattro purchased in '09 @60K miles. Mid year 2013@101K miles, check engine light would not turn off so took it to an indie shop up the street from me with an Audi master mechanic. He said a sensor was put on backwards (by another less skilled mechanic which I took to prior cause of check engine light that would not turn off nor could I pass smog certification). Drove it back home.

About a week or so later, heading out at 5:30 a.m. for a 100 mile trip, left the garage, and coolant light came on, 2nd time in as many days. I had put some in day before. Opened hood and bubbling brownish/pink in coolant reservoir. Idiot lights never registered excessive heat, no evidence of smoke in exhaust, engine runs well. Parked the car cause a friend thought it was a head gasket problem. Drove my other vehicle cause I knew this was a costly repair and friend had another master mechanic who could work on it inexpensively when he returned to town 6 months. That 6 months has now turned into never. Another friend suggested another shop look at it. The owner recently dropped a rebuilt engine in another Audi so I thought hey maybe they can diagnose the problem as it was free. Standing out in the pouring rain, they turn ignition on run it for a bit and same problem occurs, coolant bubbling out. They announce it was a head gasket and suggested new engine that would cost $4,000 plus labor and suggested I consider investing in another vehicle, a Japanese one!

Took car home and it’s been sitting covered in the garage ever since. Now that my other vehicle is needing work (Isuzu Rodeo with 165K and having been rear ended), needing to decide which car is getting the money. Have an appointment to go back to master mechanic at indie shop. They are expensive but not as much as the dealership (whom I called out of curiosity to see what it would cost. Dealer mechanic asked if smoke came out of exhaust and I said no, and he said not necessarily head gasket). Indie shop is going to flush the engine then give me the “good” news. Could cost anywhere from $500 to $3,000.

Love this car. Planned to own it for 10 years. Body is in very good shape (though window regulator and sunroof mechanism need to be repaired). I live in sunny SoCal so no rust or other weather damage.

Do not want to purchase another car with payments. A used Honda is looking attractive to me cause they seem to run forever with little other than regular maintenance. Got a kid in private school and heading to college in a year. I drive very little as I commute by train.

So you all being the experts, what should I ask at indie shop that got excellent reviews from other customers. Should I be present when they do the flush? Does it sound like head gasket and not block? How much extra to expect for timing belt change and water pump replacement if it is head gasket.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2014, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My view - you won't get anything to sell with the engine in that condition, so fixing it is worth investigating further. I would stop short of a new motor though, the numbers they are quoting would be an over-investment in a 10 year old car.

Are you sure it's a head gasket?
You need to check it's not just a seized water pump or frozen thermostat.

You can do some preliminary investigating yourself, don't take offence if you already know or have done this but:

If the car has been sitting a while, pull the spark plugs and check for water in the cylinders or on the spark plugs, take the oil cap off and check for creamy or 'frothy' oil collected in the filler cap. Either confirms head gasket failure.
If nothing at all, start the engine at idle, and continually check the hoses for temperature change and the bleed back into the water tank.
Is the engine running relatively smoothly or is it bouncing around on 3 cylinders?
Let it warm up, if one of the radiator hoses remain cold, indicates the water pump or the thermostat has failed.

You can also get a mechanic to pressurise the expansion tank, or some shops hire them out, take the cap off, pressurise the water to about 3 BAR, pull the spark plugs and wait (like 24 hours), if the pressure goes down, the water is getting out somehow, on the floor is good, on the floor in the cabin not so good, but either way it's a water leak you can fix. Inside one of the cylinders means the head gasket.

Any more information on the sensor that was supposedly put on backwards? - not sure how that can happen, most components only fit one way - so curious to know what the sensor was.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks John....out of town for the holidays but when I get back I will certainly give your suggestions a try! Scheduled visit at indie shop for December 26.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good call. If they can't be certain, get them to do the pressure test on the coolant system. be prepared for them to want to keep the car or my indie let me take the unit home (it is just a little pump with a gauge), nothing technical.

I can't believe you found a mechanic for the 26th. Here in Australia, almost everything shuts down. The world could be ending and the response would be - 'fine but can you get me another beer first!