A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Fuel Gauge and Computer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge and Computer Problem

Hey everyone -

Last month I took my car to have it's fuel filter and fuel pump replaced.
The next time I added fuel I noticed the fuel needle hardly moved. As this had never happened before, I actually went back to the gas station to let them know their pump wasn't delivering the correct amount of fuel!

Today, with 10 mile to empty, I added six gallons (at a different station) and the needle still hasn't moved - in fact it now shows 0 MTE.

So it looks as if while replacing the fuel pump and filter, they screwed something up. Or is this just an amazing coincidence? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had this happen pull the fuel pump fuse and the instrument cluster fuse turn on (not engine just electronics). Turn off put fuses back it will reset it's self.
The following 2 users liked this post by SilasJudd:
Moagi Osele (01-12-2020), Okibkd (05-18-2023)
Old 07-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilasJudd
I had this happen pull the fuel pump fuse and the instrument cluster fuse turn on (not engine just electronics). Turn off put fuses back it will reset it's self.
Thanks a million, I thought I was going to have to pull my sensor out of the tank....
I did just what this says, pull fuse 15 & 28, turn ignition or try to start the car (wont start because no fuel pump...), then put fuses back and good as new...!!!

My fuel gauge has always been perfect. Then last night out of nowhere it was broken. I got gas and filled the car up, yet it still said 10 miles till empty. Then over the next 20 miles it dropped to zero. I even went and got more gas thinking that I was crazy because this had never happened before.

But not the fuel gauge is working, the sensor unit is presumably fine and it took 10 minutes of searching to find this one post, and 1 minute to pull fuses and fix. Awesome!
The following 2 users liked this post by pjp13:
Dogwagon (11-24-2022), Okibkd (05-18-2023)
Old 03-15-2011, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Problem Solved

Originally Posted by pjp13
Thanks a million, I thought I was going to have to pull my sensor out of the tank....
I did just what this says, pull fuse 15 & 28, turn ignition or try to start the car (wont start because no fuel pump...), then put fuses back and good as new...!!!

My fuel gauge has always been perfect. Then last night out of nowhere it was broken. I got gas and filled the car up, yet it still said 10 miles till empty. Then over the next 20 miles it dropped to zero. I even went and got more gas thinking that I was crazy because this had never happened before.

But not the fuel gauge is working, the sensor unit is presumably fine and it took 10 minutes of searching to find this one post, and 1 minute to pull fuses and fix. Awesome!

This worked! Thanks for the info. solved the problem in 2 minutes!!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, my car doesn't have any fuses in positions 15 & 28. What can I do?
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by mistrb
From your sig, you have an A8 right? Those fuse locations are for an A4; need to take a look in your owner's manual for the equivalent fuse locations.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default fuel gauge stays on full

hi all im a new audi owner and have simular problem with fuel gauge it was showing empty so proceeded by taking out fuses and turning ign on then off and re-fitting tho now fuel gauge says full all the time.....any ideas.
many thanks jase.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello,

Just want to thank you. I bought Audi A4 B6 with the same problem with fuel gauge. In service told to change instrument cluster. And than I found this tread and I fixed by my self in 5min.

So many thanks and greetings from Lithuania, Jurbarkas.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Me too

Originally Posted by mistrb
I've got the same problem as the post, and i think I'm missing fuses in those locations too.. i haven't checked yet. i will later today, but i'm in Europe and my manual is in German.. any ideas on how to get an English version of the manual?

I'll keep you guys posted.

BTW: the gauge was working until Sunday when i was driving back to Czech from Slovakia. It showed half a tank then it went to empty and the light came on.. I'll say it was pretty stressful driving back with the LOW GAS light on.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default nope!

Originally Posted by Xander2727
I've got the same problem as the post, and i think I'm missing fuses in those locations too.. i haven't checked yet. i will later today, but i'm in Europe and my manual is in German.. any ideas on how to get an English version of the manual?

I'll keep you guys posted.

BTW: the gauge was working until Sunday when i was driving back to Czech from Slovakia. It showed half a tank then it went to empty and the light came on.. I'll say it was pretty stressful driving back with the LOW GAS light on.
Ok, so i just checked it.. and it's not working! Any other ideas?

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge and Computer Problem