A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Getting to alarm module in 2003 Avant

Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Bose amp and sub in Avant

So before anyone tells me to search the forums, I have :-)
My beep is gone from the alarm. I've read all about it. Common problem. Could be batteries are shot or board is now shot due to battery leakage. No big deal. I could leave it alone or try to do something about it. It just stopped working a month or so ago and I get a code for the alarm/convenience so my mechanic tells me. That's what I want to get rid of which is why I'm doing this.
I can see the arm holding in the unit WAY down under the sub. I decided to try to investigate. Could be a bad idea, but that's why I turn to you! I took out the amplifier of the Bose in the back of the car and disconnected the wiring. The sub seems a little trickier. It seems like 2 hard to reach (maybe 9 MM) nuts are holding it in on the top left and bottom and one large bolt on the upper right corner. Does anyone know if I take those out if the whole sub will come out? Seems like it would. Also, what will happen to the alarm unit if I just decide to not do it at all? I saw that someone made a battery box with 6 AA batteries and it worked great. I always like it when stuff works in my car, so I'd like to at least see if the board on the unit is not shot yet and try to fix it. I don't want to live with the code especially when I need it inspected.
Thanks!
KJ

Last edited by kjmiles; 08-29-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is no alarm unit. The unit you are going after is just the speaker that emits the chirp when you lock the doors.
The alarm is controlled by the central convenience module, which is under the carpet below the driver's seat.
The reason you are not hearing the beep could be caused by 2 faults:
- A fault in one of the doors/trunk/hood sensors so the ccm doesn't recognize they are closed and therefore doesn't chirp.
- The chirp unit itself went bad. This is less likely than above. I would first scan with VCDS for any faults in the CCM and if there are none, the little speaker box you mentioned is at fault. Luckily I have a spare one, if you should need it PM me.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am going to post pics and procedure for a DIY to get to this and hopefully fix it. Thanks to pearlwhitesix for replying. I've got the siren out and cut open. The batteries look shot and there's just a little corrosion on some of the prongs. Going to see if the guys at Batteries Plus have an idea on how best to tackle it or go with the procedure from Audi Sport Audi A4/B6 Alarm Siren - Replace NiMH Batteries | Audi-Sport.net