A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Help passing inspection!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help passing inspection!

Hello all,
I have a 2003 Audi a4 1.8T Quattro. I have brought it to an Audi dealership and two other independent dealerships to fix this problem and no luck. It seems no one can diagnose it, but I still am unable to pass inspection. I have a "Not ready" Catalytic converter monitor which is causing me to fail. Both o2 sensors were replaced (front one on 9/21/2014 and the other about a year ago) and its reading that the cat is working properly. No check engine codes have been thrown, the car runs 100%, just the monitor will not ready. Have driven over 500 miles and tried to force ready the monitor through VAG-Tech and no luck. Is it possible that it could need a new catalytic converter when no codes are being thrown? If I knew where this monitor was located maybe its possible to replace because it's faulty? Could it be the ECU even though nothing else seems to be having a problem? It's stumping me and many mechanics and is apparently a rare problem. I have looked all over the internet and seems no one has had a problem like this. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One Snake Oil finally worked for me...Cataclean

Ok..Here's my Dreaded California Smog test saga which I finally passed after the 4th try:
1st test...failed bigtime...High Co level and designated Running Rich..

So I did my own tune up( changed oil,filter,Air filter,Changed Sparkplaugs)...poured some "CRC guaranteed to pass" gas additive..

2nd test ... failed again...Co level didnt change..

So did some emmission parts change (change Front 02 Sensor, change Maf sensor,Used Sea foam throttle body cleaner)poured some "CRC guaranteed to pass" gas additive again.....

3rd test...still failed...Co level did slightly go down but non passing level...
Finally went to Mechanic...they said I have low compression and my A4 need new CAT ...$900 for California Catalytic converter (Ouch)

Before I spend big, I Google on best additive to pass...found CATACLEAN .... supposed to unclog and thorouly clean the Catalytic converter and entire fuel/combustion system...label claims to reduce over 60% of emission level.......
Yeah right,for something you just pour on your tank??...but I have nothing to lose except its pricey $30 cost at O'rileys (cheaper than a $900 CAT). Went ahead and got one...add it on your tank went its about only 1/4 full or less left....drove for 20 miles..then fill car up with gas again.

Went straight to my 4th Test...PASSED!!!!... tester even joking If I changed the engine..

I'M NOT SAYING THIS Additive WILL WORK ON ALL SITUATIONS...But thats how I manage to get my 220k + mile B6 A4 to pass smog lastweek... They've been raving it on reviews on the web so I went for it.
Goodluck...

Last edited by Bolo; 09-21-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I will definitely give it a try. I am able to get a new catalytic converter for around $600 but its a small chance it will fix the problem. If i knew it would, spending that much wouldn't be bad at all. $30 is definitely worth a try. Thanks for the advice.