A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

If you've had ignition coil (coil pack) failure, post here. Log of coil failures with comments:

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you've had ignition coil (coil pack) failure, post here. Log of coil failures with comments:

Here's the log as it stands thru 9/20/02:

This is a single source database of ignition coil failures. It's important that we use this to encourage Audi to take some proactive action before some consumer publication picks it up and forces the issue. So far, we've had 50 forum readers experiencing 73 coil failures (several with multiple failures) on their 2002 Audi A4s.

The following are inputs from those who have provided amplifying comments regarding their coil failure problems:

x 35517 (3) ... Lost #2, #3, and #4 all within 6 weeks of each other. Only have 6,000 miles on it.

x 21406 ... Well Folks another GD coil pack went this morning!!!!!! ... This is my second one in 3 weeks, I was the one who reported the labor day morning failure. ... This morning on the way to work another one failed as I was driving, I had to delicately pull off this major busy thoroughfare..!!!!!! ... Sat for an hour waiting for the tow truck, then a trip to the dealer and time to get the loaner, so now it is 11:20 and I finally am at work!!!!! ... This has got to stop!!!!!!!!!!! not only is it an inconvenience and now SAFETY issue, but I lose 1/2 day at work, will Audi re-embures me for that, I have to take a 1/2 day vacation,,,because Audi wont fix their KNOWN PROBLEM!!!!! ... As I reported before my build date is 10/01 and I have 18,827 miles

x 5167 ... (9/16/02) Just got it back - it was the #1 coil. (long) ... Here's the complete story: I was just out for a drive in my 4 day old 1.8TQMS Avant, cruising along with my dog in the back when the vibration started. Within a few seconds the check engine light started blinking and I pulled over. Shut it down and re-started to see if it would clear up, but no luck. The manual said to keep driving at reduced power, so I started towards home. Got about 7 miles down the road when I noticed a "hot" smell, so immediatly looked for a place to pull over. At that moment, the EPC light came on and the engine died. So, the dog and I waited an hour for the flatbed to arrive. By the time I spoke to the service manager this morning I had searched thru this forum and read about the coil issues, so I pressed him to replace all the coils if that was the problem. When I got it back, he had only replaced the one and said there was no point to replacing them all since the replacement was the same part as the original. But he did say that the current part is now the second revision, and they're working on a third. He didn't have an answer to the "hot" smell - I'm afraid I may have cooked the turbo and it's going to bite sometime down the road. Moral of the story: if it starts to vibrate, pull over asap and shut it down! Build Date: 6/02. ... (9/17) Update on my coil experience ... I talked to my Service Manager again today and told him of my concerns that I may have cooked something by continuing to drive (slowly) after the #1 coil failed, and that there was a "hot" smell seconds before the EPC light came on and the engine died. As it turns out, he told me that the bad coil they took out was melted - it literally came out in two pieces. The engine died because a fuse blew. I was afraid that the turbo overheated, just enough so it would fail in say, 49,750 miles just after the warranty expired.
But regardless, if you do experience the coil problem while on the road - you'll know it by moderate vibration under power, my advice is to get off the road as soon as safe and practical, shut down and call roadside assistence.

x 9160 (3) ... My Details ... Coil pack #4 blew first thing one morning at start-up in my garage. Car was towed in and dealer informed me that there were no coil packs in stock when they called later in the day. After a brief discussion it was decided to take a fresh coil pack off a car on their lot. ... 3 months later coil pack #2 and #4 die while in traffic. Same symptoms ... heavy shudder at idle and bucking under acceleration, awful smell and flashing check engine. Car was towed from roadside and dealer took coild packs from car on lot. I was also informed that it was not possible to change the remaining 2 coil packs under the warranty agreement.

x 36192 ... Coil horror story ... Last weekend, my wife and I drove to Santa Fe, NM from Boulder, CO. The 440 mile drive down was very nice. The next morning, I went to start my car and I was given a big surprise. My car started to vibrate violently at idle and maintained the vibration through some revving. My check engine light came on and I decided to use the Roadside Assitance so glamourously shown to me when I bought the car. I called Audi roadside assistance and they were not helpful at all. In fact, they were very rude. They wanted to tow my car to Albuquerque and fix it there. I asked "How do I get my car back to Denver?" She replied that that was not her problem. I basically had to bite the bullet and pay for the $1058 to tow to my dealer in Denver. How many miles does my car have? 5883. The guy who towed my car said that in August, he towed a BMW under warranty back to Colorado and BMW Roadside assistance covered it. Back to the story, my dealer looked at the car and immediately knew that it was the ignition coil. If Audi knows about this problem then why won't they pay for my towing? This was not my fault. Also, if my ignition coil breaks on another trip, do I have to pay another $1000 for the towing. This is my third Audi and I've always been happy. However, they are seriously getting me to look at BMW's.

x 26088 ... Haven't checked forums in a while, didn't know it was so common. ... I had a problem with my #4 coil too. Engine was hot, been driving for about 1/2 hour. Failed at
a light, thought my foot came off the clutch too quick . Drove it back to the dealer, about 3 miles away, bad move? They said it wouldn't be a problem if I drove it. Can I expect more failures?

x 27909 ... Coil Pack #1 after 10 months & 7500 miles, Build 8/01, car was cold, drove about 5 miles from home and the light went off and the car lost all power, car was towed to the dealer (flatbed)........................................

x 36634 ... Build of 4/04, A4 3.0 Tip. #1 Coil pack failed at 375 miles. Same symptoms, started car in morning ran for 2 miles stopped and upon re-start car ran rough and CE Light was on. Drove 4 miles to dealer (luckily I was close to home) waited 1 day for part. All OK since I now have 4500 miles. Can't wait for the next one.

x 35322: After sitting over night went to start the car and was running rough. Brought it to the dealer with a flashing MIL light on. Dealership is only 2 mins. from my house. Had to leave the car the whole weekend. Coil number 3 went bad.

x 41619 ... Coil Failure - 3.0 2500 miles. Hot start coil #3 went after a mile. Build date 9/01. Thanks. ..................................

x 3591 ... I own a 3.0, and one morning after a cold start the car was idling a bit rough...then as I pulled out of the garage it went away. So I proceeded to the freeway, after about 3 miles the car started rattling and shaking like a Sherman tank with a bad idle...then the CE light starts flashing so I pull over and turn off the car and wait for a flatbed. As it turns out cylinder number 4's ignition coil was bad, what pisses me off the most is I was stranded on the side of a busy freeway (speed limit of 70MPH) with my infant baby girl (who comes to daycare at my work) for over an hour, actually about 1:45!! Not exactly a happy thing to have happen, especially during the morning commute when people are half asleep and try to do makeup or drink coffee at 70-85 MPH!!......................

x 20982 (2) ... Built 05/02, First coil died 7/19, first week. Second problem 7/25. Fine since @ 2K+ miles. Flatbed towed to dealer both times. Coils used to have brackets to hold them down. Brackets have now all been removed by dealer. Wife's car built 06/02 has had no problems in 2K+ miles ... Have to add my dealer, Keyes, got me in and out quickly and even did other checks and adjustments at no charge.

x 26140 (2) ... First one went around 7K miles. Dealer replaced it. The night I got the car back a second one failed. The dealer then replaced all four from a car on the lot. My build date is 7/01...........................................

x 22048 (3) ... I opened my hood and my exhaust comming off my turbo was glowing red ... So will the new coil they put on the car be fine? Addendum: As suspected the reason my CEL was blinking was due to a bad coil. And as it turns out this is the third time it has happend, (i bought the car with 13k) I just got off the phone with AOA and they said they could not replace the last coil till it fails. I said I would not accecpt that as a solution so they took my info and said they would get back to me. I am sure they will not replace it. If this last one fails while I am on a trip I will be really pissed. ........................................

x 29947 ... (build date is either 6/01 or 8/01, so lets say its 7/01 for averages sake.
Driving style is pretty much Cruising...
This happened after a series of long trips... after months in the city, we took it out to stretch its legs for the FIRST TIME, it pretty soon after a few long trips at 75-100 mph.
coils went early/mid August. Happened on a cold start... car became jerky... it wasnt a cold day but it had been off a while.) ... They replaced all 4. .........................................

x 32188 (2) ... Build Date : 07/01 ... Engine: 1.8tq tip ... Coil pack #3 went bad at 10,500 miles in June '02. ... MIL flashing, flatbedded to dealer. Coil pack #4 went when I was picking up my car the next day, MIL flashing again. Replaced 2 only, running without problem so far(15,000 miles).

x 34717 (2) ... 2 coil packs one at about 4k the other at about 7.5k I can't really give details about it until later though.

x 41380 ... Coil failure at 60 miles.

x 29762 ... Had ignition coil #1 replaced ... puffing, vibration, loss of power yesterday... Had the defective igition coil #1 replaced today

x 30278 ... 2002 A4 PROBLEMS!!!! ... OK, I visited this forum last year and posted my first problem which most of you took offense to. Most of you are Audi fanatics and don't want to hear anything negative in regards to them, but you need to OPEN your EYES!!! Few days after I brought my car home last October I noticed the first problem. Everytime I started the car it would cranck too many times before firing up. Took it in and first diagnoses indicted a faulty fuel pump. Got it replaced picked up my car and problem was still there. Took it in again, this time they said it was faulty injectors so they replace all my injector. Problem fixed. A couple of weeks later I go to start my car in my drive way and car's check engine light is flashing and car is shaking. I had to get it towed into my dealer. Diagnoses: ignition coil #1 went out, got it replaced, problem fixed. Today....driving on the freeway to go to work and all of a sudden car looses power and begins to shake and check engine light comes on. Diagnoses: ignition coil #1 went out again. All together, my car has been in for repairs about 6 times. I asked Audi to replace my car with a new one or give me my money back the last time this happened and they said no. Today, I contacted them again, filed a complaint with Consumer Affairs to invoke the Lemon Law. Oh, and get this, today while I was waiting for the tow truck at a Chevron station some A$$ hole reversed into my back bumper....luckily no damage to the car....let's just say I've had better days and better cars. So will I ever recommend Audi....HELL NO. I won't deny that when the car is problem free it is a dream to drive. But it's just not worth it. So I hate to burst anyones bubble, but Audi is not as reliable as you think. Just pray that these things don't happen to you!

x 26247 ... Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Bad #4 coil. dealer had it fixed in under 2 hr. ... DON'T drive it. Get it flat-bedded to your dealer. I think the blinking CEL means there's a problem w/ the catalytic converter, in this case, since one cylinder isn't firing, gobs of gas are going to it. Bad stuff.

x 30853 (2) ... In case someone's keeping score -- bad coil pack, #2 cylinder, @6000 miles ... I've seen others post the same thing -- are we approaching the kind of numbers needed to start thinking about a bad batch? My build week was in N0vember, '01.

x 32335 (2) ... #3 and ...#3 first time was a breeze, second time I had to wait in another city over the weekend ... In response to "A show of hands for 02 drivers who have had ignition coil problems please..."

x 34717 ... 3600 mi. evap emissions valve, ignition coil.

x 29762 (2) ... All 4 ignition coils replaced ... 2 ignition problems in a month. Last time only the defective one was replaced, but today they replaced all the other 3. Hopefully there will be no further problems on my A4.

x 6708 ... Had fan controller and coil #1 replaced ... Mine was built 8/01 ... replaced coil #1 (in response to "It seems to be mostly last year build dates that have the problem with coils.)

x 35622 ... Coil update, for those who care :0). It seems that #3 that was the culprit ...

x 24540 (2) ... Ignition coil failure again ... An ignition coil failed this morning, this has happened twice in the last 2 weeks. First it was #3 and now it's #1. I can't be the first one that has this at my dealer because they actually had the part in stock and I was in and out in 20 minutes. I barely had enough time to finish my coffee. Great service but hope #2 and #4 don't give in. I wonder if the replacement coils will have the same problem because I can't imagine this being an isolated incident. ... I see two alternatives: 1) a massive recall to replace the defective coils with bionic ones 2) a saturday morning egnition coil replacment workshop and free tool kits.

x 29885 ... #3 at 10552 miles (In response to "*drumroll* .... yup, bad ignition coil"). Build date: 10/01.

x 22662 ... Coil pack blown at 7000km, all 4 repleaced free at dealer.

x 15145 ... Had 1 of my coilpacks replaced too .. only 3400 miles on my car.

x 34429 ... Update: Coil pack problem ... Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents. Just had my car towed into the dealer 2 days before I was supposed to drop it off for my 10K service!...

x 21406 ... qty 1, product date 10/01

x 5511 ... Build date: 11/01. #5 went bad 8/15 and 5200 miles.

x 4559 (2) ... On my 2nd coil pack replacement in 2 weeks. What's going on here??? Recall planned? ... Thanks guys. My 2002 A4 1.8T has blown 2 coil packs now. Is there a recall planned?

x 36370 ... I was once nervous about the coil packs, then one went out at 4400 mi ... (in reply to "A4 Problems").

x 24224 ... build date: 9/01. Just went at 9800 miles.

x 35322 ... Mine has been in since Friday for them. Sux. (in response to "Anyone know if Audi fixed the coil pack problem in later builds of '02?).

x 30924 (2) ... Lost coilpack #3. Can't wait for the other ones to go - Woohoo. ... I have a March build date. x 30924 ... Flashing engine light - loss of power & shuddering = coil pack. I just had it happen to me last weekend. ... Build date: 02/02. Bad coil pack #2 after 5000 km.

x 31344 (2) ... Had 4 of mine replaced 2 weeks ago. Same symptoms as you had. First they replaced only one coil pack. I asked for them to replace them all, but they said they couldn't justify it, and they hadn't seen more than one go on a car. Sure enough, my second trip after the fix, another one goes. Luckily both acted up after starting the car at home, so I wasn't stranded. I firmly asked that the rest be replaced now. After a call to headquarters, they got it authorized and replaced all of them. (in response to "I think it's my turn! Check engine flash, rough running, and a flatbed tow to the dealer.

x 30198 (3) ... Lost 3 myself. (In response to "OK people, I'd like to do a poll here, could you post if you've lost a coil pack, then details.)

x 42324 (2) ... Had 1st coil pack go last saturday....got it fixed in 30 mins at the dealer the following Monday...today is sunday...2nd coil pack gone!! (2 in one week!) I will be demanding the dealer replace all of them and I will not leave the lot until they do!!! THis is BS! 8/31 posting - Rude awakening! ... Today is my Bday ... Get into my car to take it for a wash ... start the engine and Happy Birthday!! Engine just sputters, very rough idle, drove it around parking lot for a bit ... very rough. Exhaust smells like rotten eggs .. what the F*&#???? My first assumption is its running on 3 cylinders. Car was perfect up until I started it today ... any ideas on what it could be!! Thanks.

x 29160 ... Guess what?... Started car last friday for an afternoon drive and it began to idle like **** ... 2002-09-16 ... The long and short of it is that the car was flat bedded to the dealer where it sat all weekend! problem: Coil pack. Car fixed and I'm rocking. Pissed I missed an awesome early fall weekend driving in Wisconsin.

31778 ... Coil pack failure strikes again! #2 coil.. '02 Avant ... I have an early build '02 A4 1.8T Canadian Avant. It's the 3rd in BC - i ordered it 6 months before they were available. Today my coil pack went south. Noticed rough idle at startup this morning and restarted the engine to see if it would go away. Nope. Drove gently to work, but after about 2 miles decided to pull over - it felt like damage could occur if i kept it up. The dealership (Clarkedale vancouver BC) was pretty nice about it, but they only replaced the one ... Add me to the list of coil failures... booo.

x 38993 ... Add me (9/17/02) ... 2 coil pack failures (2nd occasion occurred after the first set had been replaced) ... In Reply to: Four more ignition coil (coil pack) failures today. Here's the log of coil failures with comments:

x 1366 ... Yes, it was a coil pack failure ... I had my car towed to Steve Taub in Santa Monica this morning. Of course they said we are not familiar with that issue on this car. After much insisting they aggreed to look at it right away while I waited and sure enough I was correct. #3 was the culprit. They would not change the other so I will call AOA today and complain. Service Manager said they are putting the same part on anyway. Car has 15,200 miles with a build date of 10/01. This is a bad situation because you could be along way from a dealer when these things go down. It make me think twice about driving my fine german motor car any distance. I thought that is why I have my old MG. Symptoms where rough idle, then MIL indicator on, then loss of power/very rough running and flashing MIL. We need to start a serious campaign with AOA. It may be time to consider legal advise, I hate to say it but they need a recall on this. This issue could be about personal safety, not just convienence. ... Earlier comments ... *%$@ I think I am in the coil pack club! ... I really never have liked any type of club. Started her up to drive home from work and seemed to be running a bit odd. After about one mile started running like ****. I did drive another two miles home and called for a tow in the morning. 15,000 miles 1.8t QMS build date 10/01. I am going to push real hard to have all four replaced. I will report in after I hear wht is up.

Other coil failure comments:

35362 ... Want an ignition coil recall? ... For what it's worth, I sent Audi a note about the coil packs asking about possible recalls using their Warranty, Service, and Parts feedback form on their web site. They responded with an e-mail saying that someone is available at 1-800-822-2834 (option 3) to discuss recall concerns Monday through Friday, 8AM to 10PM Eastern time.

x 27471 ... Re: Ignition coil (coil pack) failure update ... I have had 3 coil packs replaced in my A4 1.8T, its a 2001 but I figured its the same problem most likely. I was wondering what damage was done to my engine since I was told to drive it to the dealership all three times (about 15 miles each time). Please let me know ... Thanks!

x 31053 - After 8500 miles and 5 months of flawless performance I finally have a problem. This afternoon I went out to start my car and it was idling rough. As I started out of the driveway the engine light began flashing, the car was misfiring and had very little power. I returned immediately to the driveway and will call the dealer in the morning. Any Ideas? Did I just get some bad gas or could it be the coil pack problem that other people have had?

37728 ... I wonder how Audi will handle the engine damage ... bad coils cause detonation that gets past the factory knock sensor. Even with new coil packs, I have to believe that some engine damage has occurred.

39689 ... Planning to take a long trip to the south in a couple of weeks from Maryland and I'm a little nervous. Do to this unfortunate coil pack issue, I'm a little nervous to take the car on an adventure, only to be stuck in the middle of the woods, or an abandoned highway because my coil went POOF!! I have 4500K on the car and the buid date was 04/02. What would you do? Also considering I have a 1 year old and impatient wife with me? Leave it.....or.....Take it?

40723 ... Started car in the morning ... idled really rough, didn't seem to want to smooth out. Shut it down and then restarted, idled rough for a few seconds then smoothed out. No idiot lights came on. havn't had this happen again. Coming up on my 10K service I will bring it to their attention.

21336 ... Audi is replacing them before getting to the dealerships and switching vendors for the coils, or at least I read that they were (6/27/02).

27463 ... 2 weeks ago, started car, shook like crazy. check lite came on. turned off car, then on - OK since. Posted on 2002-09-16 10:41:41 In Reply to: 29160, I've included your posting in our coil pack history log. Anyone else not in the log?

25423 ... Cold start and car started to shake ... Brought it in this morning and dealer said sparks blew. Don't know much about cars...but the symptons sure sounds like the coil probelms some folks have had here. (Sparks? Coils? not same thing right?) I have yet to go pick up the car....will prob know more tomorrow. Any inputs?

Here are the account numbers of those who earlier reported ignition coil failures on this forum. Any additional comments from these A4 owners would help our cause (See below for comments already received).

16140 (2)
Old 09-17-2002, 07:14 PM

NWAudi, Thanks for all your effort in tracking these failures we all owe you a big thanks!
Old 09-17-2002, 08:22 PM

Aaw shucks :-)))
Old 09-17-2002, 08:48 PM

Default Re: here

car started to shake around 10,000 miles
Old 09-17-2002, 08:52 PM

Been in to have it serviced yet? When you do, please post the details.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:45 AM

Default Re: If you've had ignition coil (coil pack) failure, post here. Log of coil failures with comments:

I had ignition coil failure for #4 cylinder. Car is 02 1.8 quatro Tip with 12600 miles.I called dealer and described symptoms over the phone and he anticipated the problem correctly. Kind of a big inconvenience since nearest dealer is 85 miles away.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:35 PM

Default Re: If you've had ignition coil (coil pack) failure, post here. Log of coil failures with comments:

I have had one coil pack replaced. It was after 16,500kms. I have a 2002 2.0L Manual A4. I live in Australia.
Old 09-30-2002, 04:03 PM

I know this is the A4 forum, but I have an 2002 S3 and didn't see any coil pack thread in the A3/S3 forum. Anyway, I have had two coil packs replaced on the S3 in 5 months, one at 6,500km and another at 9,500km. This bites!
Old 10-28-2002, 09:57 AM

Default Coil #2 failure at 35,000 km

Same as everyone else's story; running rough, pulled over, checked fluids, sounded like it was 'missing', turned back home and left her in the driveway until this morning's trip to the dealer. Was able to drive it but had to keep the rev's up over 3500k. At green lights I had to raise the rpm's up before releasing the clutch, if that wasnt' annoying enough, every kid in a souped up honda thought I was challenging them to a race! I was NOT in the mood, already embarrased enough. Dealer Fixed in 2 hours. Disappointed at reading all these reports, sounds like I should expect more failures
Still love my A4 though.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:20 AM

Another fed up A3 owner. Although mine is a 98 1.8t its only done 32K and had two trips to the dealer in Isle of Man until they eventually found out what was wrong with it. After putting in new plugs, leads they are now telling me I need an ignition pack at £200 plus labour. Not going back to the dealer as there service is terrible. Is there anywhere I can get one and fit it myself?

Quick Reply: If you've had ignition coil (coil pack) failure, post here. Log of coil failures with comments: