A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

If you've had ignition coil (coil pack) failure, post here. Log of coil failures with comments:

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone should really keep a spare coilpack in the trunk (what are they $25-$30 each). The symptoms are well known and documented here in this thread and elsewhere and you can change it (learn how!) in under a few minute without any tools (let the engine cool down abit first to save burning yourself).

Save yourself lots of grief (time and $$). I have had one go and the dealer happily gave me a new one for free to replace the one I changed (which is now my spare).
Old 07-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

you guys should all stop bitching about the coilpacks and carrying spares. The OEMs are going to fail at some point, no matter what revision you have. just get a set of hitachi E bolt downs and you are done! ive had mine for 3 years now, never a single problem.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

We have owned a TT for 4 years with no failures. That car runs the R version push on type. My A4 is running stage 2 Revo and i run the Hitachi bolt down CP's as recommended by Revo. So far, no problems, but I don't have a lot of miles on them yet. A lot of people have had immediate failures after chip upgrades though, so i feel like i am ahead of the game at this point.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yep, it happened to me too. My first Audi A4 1.8T, 2004. I got the car in second week of March '09, beginning of April check engine started to flash and stayed solid at times. I did the scan, it found random misfiring and cyl #4 misfiring all the time. Basically all 4 ignition coils were faulty. I had no choice but to replace them. The car at that time had only 77,300 km.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2006 A3 2.0T and have had issues with misfires. about a year or so ago I had the recall service done. After about 6-8 months it came back on again, but the car performs great. However, there are some other issues.

Several times now, even after having the oil changed recently my low engine oil light comes on. Sure enough I'm 2 to 3 quarts low. Never any oil in my driveway or any burning oil smell. Kind of a mystery. I talked to a friend who suggested that oil may be leaking into the coils causing them to misfire. Anyone ever heard of this?
Old 08-06-2013, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Playloud
I have a 2006 A3 2.0T and have had issues with misfires. about a year or so ago I had the recall service done. After about 6-8 months it came back on again, but the car performs great. However, there are some other issues.

Several times now, even after having the oil changed recently my low engine oil light comes on. Sure enough I'm 2 to 3 quarts low. Never any oil in my driveway or any burning oil smell. Kind of a mystery. I talked to a friend who suggested that oil may be leaking into the coils causing them to misfire. Anyone ever heard of this?
do some research, the 2.0T has an awful oil consumption problems. it can be crankcase vent valve. But it seems usually piston rings need replaced. you said the engine light is on? get it checked, if it has lean codes than the crankcase vent valve is most likely suspect.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2011 Audi TT #3 ciol

I have to admit that I am more than a little upset with the performance of the the car.
I haven't had my new car for even a week and it already has to he returned to the shop for a #3 engine coil.
Not to mention it has had a few incidences with leakjng oil. The first day we brought the car home it leaked oil on our brand new driveway.
We have already had to put in one quart and it is just now hitting the onen week mark.
We have made the decision to jump into a bigger atto loan and not to mention the significant increase in the car insurance. Almost the same price as the car loan itself.
I am super excited about owning this car but is really big purchase.My husband and I
I have just graduated Cosmetology School and will also have to start payments on my student loans.
I take it in tomorrow and have all the problems fixed because it's still under factory warranty.
I have also purchased the extended coverage due to any issues I'm facing.
Hopefully I'll have our car back in the same day but I will have a rental car in the meen time.
I will repost how everything turns out and keep you all informed of any problems our beautiful new little car has and hope that the won't be any.
6-3-2016
Old 06-03-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ang Lyerla
I have to admit that I am more than a little upset with the performance of the the car.
I haven't had my new car for even a week and it already has to he returned to the shop for a #3 engine coil.
Not to mention it has had a few incidences with leakjng oil. The first day we brought the car home it leaked oil on our brand new driveway.
We have already had to put in one quart and it is just now hitting the onen week mark.
We have made the decision to jump into a bigger atto loan and not to mention the significant increase in the car insurance. Almost the same price as the car loan itself.
I am super excited about owning this car but is really big purchase.My husband and I
I have just graduated Cosmetology School and will also have to start payments on my student loans.
I take it in tomorrow and have all the problems fixed because it's still under factory warranty.
I have also purchased the extended coverage due to any issues I'm facing.
Hopefully I'll have our car back in the same day but I will have a rental car in the meen time.
I will repost how everything turns out and keep you all informed of any problems our beautiful new little car has and hope that the won't be any.
6-3-2016
This is just pretty standard used car stuff. You can buy just about anything and have something possibly happen. Coils have been common failures on most cars, oil leaks were probably more like a botched oil change and the oil filter housing leaked or the drain plug leaked. I wouldnt worry about it. just get the car fixed and enjoy it.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2007 Audi S4

the coil pack in cylinder one went two weeks ago , this morning the pack in cylinder 8 failed , from the need for this thread I see this is a common problem