A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Immobilizer issue? Or something else? Pls Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Immobilizer issue? Or something else? Pls Help

Immobilizer Issue help needed Whats my next step?
Hi newbie here. Hoping you experts can provide me with your opinions & advice on the following. Thanks in advance!

2003 Audi a4 quattro 1.8t automatic trans. Cranks & starts for a second shuts off. When starting there is no immobilzer light that comes on at anytime during the process. When turning it goes to safe on the odometer. If I clear it & will no longer show safe, open the door it shows mileage like normal, turn key to position 2 still fine. Turn to start car starts, shuts off after a second back to saying safe on odometer. Same thing every time & no immobilizer light at any time not even when I turn to positiom 2 and all the other lights light up before turning key. Additionally I can not get the fob to program to unlock or lock the car. I hav tried every programming scenario on the boards. I even let it sit with key in ignition on position overnight with car batt on a trickle. Has new battery in both fob & car. Getring fuel & spark. Only have the 1 key ever. Car did sit for about 3 months without battery in it. I missing something? Im at a loss & ask what my next step is other than taking it to audi. I just want to get it to idle. I dont hav a vagcom but not opposed to getting one if it will help me fix issue. Is it the immobilizer & why does it go to safe in first place? If it is immobilzer should I or can i just get my ecu flashed to bypass the immobilzer & how or wher can I do that? Any assistance & suggestions on my next steps to take is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like something else. The one time I had a key go bad, the immobilizer light came on. Do you have access to a VAGCOM reader?
Old 11-29-2016, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No Vagcom access. I can pay sum1 to hookup their vagcom but will it tell me for sure wat it is. Im not getting any check engine light. Why do they go into safe in first place? Did urs after ur immobilzer light came on with the key issue you had?
Old 11-30-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

It should since it provides a lot more info on errors than a standard reader. And a link to a troubleshooting guide...

Category:Fault Codes - Ross-Tech Wiki
Old 12-01-2016, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I believe an immobilizer issue would signal the little orange car half shaped like a key.

I had an issue with the magnetic ring that is on the outside of the ignition. It was not set in the correct position and would cause the immobilizer to activate periodically. Looked like the wire tie was removed and caused the ring to fall out of position. I got lucky with this one.

Good Luck~