A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Installed HID kit, plagued with dash display problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippster
The canceler is just a 5 ohm 50ish watt resistor enclosed in a plastic case. The resistor "fools" the CAN system into thinking there's still an incandescent bulb there by providing the correct resistance of an incandescent bulb.
Course, putting a small 194 bulb has the same effect as a cancelor, and costs a lot less ;oD
Is there a how to for this?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can you reproduce the faults in park? Or does it only happen on the road after some time?
It almost sounds like it's grounding out a power wire going to the headlights. If it were a ground, I wouldn't expect that many faults, but a power wire might lead to other faults.
Or perhaps it's Audi's way of making you pull off the road to correct it immediately... Throw a christmas tree's worth of lights onto the dash.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello,
i worked at audi dealership for 4 years and it is true that when you install a cheap hid kit on recent audis, you have a lamp out error. On saturday and sunday, i rent a small garage spot to do jobs and hid kits are really popular. After a lot of research, the only kit that will not do you any lamp out error on the dash is the canbus ballast 55w. Since i know this, i order to all my customers the canbus ballast 55w hid kit and till now, i didn't get any problem with them. The price is average but the quality is really good. I dont have any flickering with DRL, no lamp out error and no need of relay. I buy them on www.xenonhidconversionkit.com

i strongly recommend everyone with an audi to buy their hid kit on this website.

William
Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by williamjames
Hello,
i worked at audi dealership for 4 years and it is true that when you install a cheap hid kit on recent audis, you have a lamp out error. On saturday and sunday, i rent a small garage spot to do jobs and hid kits are really popular. After a lot of research, the only kit that will not do you any lamp out error on the dash is the canbus ballast 55w. Since i know this, i order to all my customers the canbus ballast 55w hid kit and till now, i didn't get any problem with them. The price is average but the quality is really good. I dont have any flickering with DRL, no lamp out error and no need of relay. I buy them on www.xenonhidconversionkit.com

i strongly recommend everyone with an audi to buy their hid kit on this website.

William
Nice try sales guy...
Old 12-07-2011, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

cancelers dont work trust me! im going through a huge error problem right now with a 55watt ballest.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default fix 4 u

Originally Posted by OMGDCA4
I installed a 55w HID kit from Retro-Solutions and have been experiencing electrical problems ever since. One out of five times I turn on the headlights, I get one of the following:
  • Warning message on dash of 'dipped headlight'
  • Warning message on dash that bulb is out, and one of the headlights will be off
  • Literally every dash warning light comes on and the display chimes at me
  • Every dash warning light comes on and the speedometer crashes out
Each of these issues is corrected immediately if I pull over, turn off the lights and car, then start it back up. Then everything from the dash display to the headlights works just fine again. I figure the lights may be sending a surge or confusing the computer when I flick them on. Restarting the car seems to reset the computer.

I've attached a picture of my dash on the way home from work today. At about 50mph I turned on the lights and the warning chimes went off, warning lights flashed (traction control, ABS, parking brake), and the speedo went dead. When I got off the highway I was able to turn the car off and restart at a stoplight which returned everything to normal.

This is really odd and I'm pretty sure its the lights or the way they're connected to the car. I didn't install myself, so I couldn't tell you how they're wired in. Has anyone else run into this issue installing a HID kit? Any ideas how to remedy?

hi there.

i had this exact problem and it is all due to electro-magnetic interference (EMC) due to the ballast on the left side (abs module on that side).

what you need to do is, find yourself some quality copper grounding wire.

undo a screw on your left ballast, mount the wire to the ballast and fasten it down with the screw, i personally pinched it between my ballast' case. take the other end of the wire & mount it between the washer and the bolt of the washer fluid bottle.

problem solved.

some kits come with emc bits and bobs, they're good but unreliable.

put a relay on your kit & ground the left unit then you should be all good.

good luck!
Old 07-20-2016, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought the cancellers and still getting the same problem on my 2011 A3.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OMGDCA4
I installed a 55w HID kit from Retro-Solutions and have been experiencing electrical problems ever since. One out of five times I turn on the headlights, I get one of the following:
  • Warning message on dash of 'dipped headlight'
  • Warning message on dash that bulb is out, and one of the headlights will be off
  • Literally every dash warning light comes on and the display chimes at me
  • Every dash warning light comes on and the speedometer crashes out
Each of these issues is corrected immediately if I pull over, turn off the lights and car, then start it back up. Then everything from the dash display to the headlights works just fine again. I figure the lights may be sending a surge or confusing the computer when I flick them on. Restarting the car seems to reset the computer.

I've attached a picture of my dash on the way home from work today. At about 50mph I turned on the lights and the warning chimes went off, warning lights flashed (traction control, ABS, parking brake), and the speedo went dead. When I got off the highway I was able to turn the car off and restart at a stoplight which returned everything to normal.

This is really odd and I'm pretty sure its the lights or the way they're connected to the car. I didn't install myself, so I couldn't tell you how they're wired in. Has anyone else run into this issue installing a HID kit? Any ideas how to remedy?
I had the same issue when I replaced my bulbs. Nearest Audi dealer 95 miles. possible cost for diagnostics and repair, upwards of $500. I bought the Ross-Tech Vag-Com cable and software. $370 shipped. Down load the software on your PC, Connect the cable, Find the fault, Cleared the error code and done. Works on 2004 to 2016. will save me afortune in the future if repairs are needed. Still came out ahead between 2 trips from Myrtle Beach to Charleston 2 times 95 miles each way 400 miles and 8 hrs of driving plus the diag costs. Buy one or see if anyone has one near you on the forum and give them $50 to runn the diags.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:23 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Things like this should not be happening 5 years later, technology with ballast have gotten a lot better.
We have built in error cancelers and casing to prevent any radio interference you normally see with some ballast. We feel if you are having the issue it is a cheaper HID ballast that are not spending the money to put all the newer technology into the ballast.
i: http://instagram.com/deAutoLED