A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Looking for the service manual 2003 a4 quattro 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the service manual 2003 a4 quattro 3.0L

Running into quite a few problems and was wondering if there was a downloadable one online. I did a quick search on the forum and couldn't find one. I'm talking about the rather long one I'm sure probably 1K pages or so.

TIA!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I have looked and never found a downloadable. I have only found them for sale on ebay etc, but people usually want a lot. The only other thought I had was to rummage through a junk yard and see if you can find one. The TT I just bought does not have a manual, and I am down to looking in a salvage yard.

obtw, Gig'Em...
Old 09-10-2015, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You could try and look at your local library, the drawback there is you have to give it back, eventually.

The Chilton's / Haynes manuals are okay, depending on what you want to do with it.

You might try Bentley's Publishing. They're a little on the spendy side, but very comprehensive, once you get past their odd way of presenting procedures. Right now, Amazon Prime has it listed for $103. According to Bentley's, the Red covered book is current.

In both cases, I try and augment what I want to do with DIY's that people have published online as the picture documentation can be better than what they show in the book. A4mods.com is one I've found.

I actually got lucky and found the B5 Passat manual for $75.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Gig 'Em! Thanks Guys!

Well sounds like I may be a little out of luck in general. But maybe I need to scavenge myself a Bentley's.

I may need to post this elsewhere to get some more looks but basically I have been seeing some leakage spots on the concrete in the garage. I don't believe it's coolant and I don't believe its PSF. I think maybe it is refrigerant? I'm just trying to figure out where the heck its leaking from. It does appear to be on the driver side under the hood really close to the oil filter/funny little blue ribbed bottle.

Car is a 2003 a4 quattro with 3.0L V6 base model...

Also a little other history. Live in Texas, so nice and hot here. Sometimes the AC will work well for about an hour then it will basically stop blowing cool air. If I switch the thing to econ I think whatever it is in the system thaws out then it will start working again.

Who is the mechanic guru on the forum? I think I need help. I would say in terms of DIY I can pretty much do anything but diagnosis is not always my strong suit.. done head gaskets, timing belts, cluthches on my tacoma.. but haven't had to dive into the audi yet... partly because I don't have a decent manual...

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2015, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

sorry here are the pictures of the leakage

Old 09-10-2015, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Windshield washer fluid, maybe? It looks to be about the right color. Approved Audi coolant is supposed to be pink or purple. Which turns brown if it's mixed with yellow or green...

Refrigerant is usually only in liquid form under pressure. It will turn to a gas if it's leaking and certainly won't show up as a greasy stain in your driveway.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I am certainly not a mechanical guru; I just an old engineer who loves to mess with cars. My posts are from experience on cars in general since I graduated 30 years ago, and on Audi A4's for the last 6 years.

As far as the A/C, my son's A4 did this until I serviced it with the remainder of a can of freon from Autozone. It has not frozen up since. I worry about the long term effects of dumping freon into the system without evacuating it, but it has worked well for 2 years. Bottom line, I suspect you are enough low on freon for the system to be working optimally which for a car of this age is normal leakage in my opinion. If you do this, do not get the one with stop leak, just pure freon.

As for the leakage, I don't have a 3.0, so don't know where the filter is. But, washer fluid would be my guess also as it looks like it has dried overnight. Can you be more specific on location in relation to the bumper? As noted, Freon would turn to gas. Oil (would be brownish), PSF (would be brownish), brake fluid (would be clearish unless it is really dirty), and even coolant (should be pink or purple) would still be oily overnight. Can you determine if it has a smell?

Last edited by lyleswk; 09-11-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This thread DELIVERS.

I tried to over complicate things. The wiper fluid makes a lot of sense. I was trying to assume the worst for everything... so way to go me. I think I could see the reservoir tank literally right above the spot but I just wasn't 100% because things are so packed in there. Anyway, I'm a lot less worried about that than I would be those other fluids I mentioned, which I did check and all looked fine.

Thank you also for the update on the AC, I was thinking the same thing with regard to just being older. But I didn't know that refresh would manifest itself in a way (being low on refrigerant anyway), that would basically make the system not work. I my 96 tacoma, it seemed like it just took a while to cool down but finally it would, but in general the air wouldn't be SUPER cold.. just ok but manageable. I think I will try a recharge, what could it hurt at this point in time I feel.

Thanks guys this has been a huge help.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The AC issue may be unique to the packaging of the system on the A4's, i.e. line lengths, physical location of components, etc., because I haven't experienced it on any other car. If it happens again, pop the hood and look up near the firewall on the passenger side and you will see where it (at least where mine) freezes up.