A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Need Help - New build will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help - New build will not start.

Hey! Recently finished installing my new engine. Block build by Issam. Head mostly stock save gasket matching and general cleaning and re freshening. Running a PSI concepts manifold feeding a GT2868R internally gated. Custom downpipe with V-banded cat/test pipe setup. All hot parts are ceramic coated. TT225 MAF with new 034 TIP. Using stock TB for initial break-in and tuning.

So here's the bad. I've been over the engine to confirm all connectors are connected and lines are properly secured. I can't find anything obvious. Engine will crank fine and timing marks line up. BUT it will not fire. There is a valid signal from the crank position sensor and it has been visibly confirmed in good condition. It has been verified serviceable with a 935 Ohm resistance (limits are 730 - 1000 Ohm). I have also installed a known good unit with no change.

Cam position sensor wiring has been confirmed good with correct voltages and grounds from the ECM. I have tried a new sensor with no change. Even if this has failed the engine should still start but will run with reduced boost level and in a waste spark configuration (coils fired on every revolution).

All fuses are confirmed good. All wiring to the coil packs has been confirmed good. No wiring is shorted to each other or to ground. There are heat damaged wires at several of the coil packs. These correspond to the 12V supply and a ground, not the trigger wiring. The wires have been temporarily protected with a replacement harness on order.

I am getting fuel as confirmed by 2 sets of fouled plugs. Thought maybe pressure was low so I swapped in my Bosch 040 pump and a new fuel filter. No change.

I have tried two different sets of coil packs with no change. The engine grounds are connected. The grounds at each coil pack connector are good. There is 12V at each connector as there should be. I have tried grounding a plug to see if it fires as I crank but it doesn't.

There are no recorded engine related fault codes other than those for the now disconnected injectors. There is one code found with VAG 00955 Key 1. I cannot see this code preventing ignition firing. If the immobilizer were being engaged I believe it would also be killing the injectors as well and not fouling the plugs.
Measured trigger voltage at the coil plug while cranking with oscilloscope.

I am running Maestro software. Currently have a 630 base file tweaked for the new MAF.

Looking for suggestions. The car has been down since the beginning of June and I would like to drive it before I have to put on the winter rubber!!

So I am basically asking what will cause the ECM to operate without throwing a coil related code, or any code, and still operate the injectors as though there were no issues? I am down to purchasing a replacement ECM on Tuesday unless someone has an idea. I have been working on this with some very experienced local Audi tuners and we are all stumped. What is the possibility of all 4 coil trigger channels failing in the ECM? And what could cause it if it was the case?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default spark

you already check and verify all the basic stuff so it makes it easier for suggestions.
does the check engine light comes on?
if not check all the fuses, I believe is #5 the one that shuts the ignition circuit and prevents the plugs from firing.
how long since the camshafts been installed?, sometimes takes a while for the lifters to discharge pressure and allowing the valves to close all the way.
if all checks ok check the compression.