A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Need advice on engine change 1.8T Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on engine change 1.8T Quattro

Hi all,

I need to change the engine on my son's 2005 A4 1.8T Quattro. Is there a way to do it without removing the transmission also. It appears that the two lower engine to transmission bolts are very hard if not impossible to get to unless we remove the engine/transmission as a single unit. If that's the case, how do we disconnect the front wheel drive axles from the tranmission: at the wheels or transmission?

Is it recommended to remove the transmission anyway with this car?

I'm new to Audis so this has been an experience so far!

Thanks for any advice.

Brent
Old 07-24-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heres how I do it. Remove the front bumper, radiator support all that. So its wide open. Pick the engine weight up with a crane. Un bolt the engine mount to subframe, and trans mounts to subframe. Remove the bolts holding the subframe, let it hang down. Then just pull it all out. Its just so not worth the struggle of trying to leave the transmission. Its so nice to just pull it out, unbolt the trans, pull it off, do what you gotta do, mate them together and install. You can unplug the ECU and all the colored plugs and drag the entire wire harness out with it. Makes install much easier.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The top transmission bolts are not impossible, it just takes a lot of extensions I used a wobble adapter as well instead. I also removed the front engine mount to allow the motor to tilt downward towards the rear of the car a little bit. It helps if someone reaches from the top to help place the socket on the top bolts and hold it there. With quattro, just disconnect the half shafts from the each side on the transmission.. If I remember correctly there is a heat shield on the passenger side that must be removed first. This guy has a pretty good tutorial, its for replacing the clutch but It will show you all the steps you need to get the tranny out..

:: a4mods.com :: - The Premiere Audi A4 Modification Guide and Pictures Library
Old 07-25-2014, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the advice so far. Looks like I can do it either way. I went ahead and bought the Bentley manual today and in doing that found this link showing the entire process of removing the engine only:

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...and+Installing

The new/used engine should arrive this week so we'll start the party next weekend.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure you pull the oil pan and inspect the pickup tube and clean if needed. And also Replace the timing belt and water pump on that "new" engine.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'd also replace the orings on the rear coolant flange while its out...
Old 09-08-2014, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I haven't done any of this (yet), but I do know it is at least a 2 person job. Works a lot better if one of the people is a certified mechanic, too. There is at least one representative video on YouTube showing a similar process. Good luck.