A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Oil Level Sensor 1.8t

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neyvr6,

The fuse wasn't the only thing that went wrong. My car was sitting outside during the winter and a rodent went under and chewed through the wires on the sensor, short circuiting the sensor and blowin the fuse. So I had to resolder the wires, replace the fuse, and my problems went away.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Even if you got the wiring right, the sensor itself may still be bad. It is a relatively inexpensive part and about 5 minutes of work. I would replace it at your next oil change. It solved my sensor problem.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for late reply, my cell didn't get this till today for some odd reason.

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Even if you got the wiring right, the sensor itself may still be bad. It is a relatively inexpensive part and about 5 minutes of work. I would replace it at your next oil change. It solved my sensor problem.

I will get that done at my next oil change I guess. It is annoying to see that on my dis all the time lol. Good info non the less. Thanks.

Originally Posted by infamous107
Neyvr6,

The fuse wasn't the only thing that went wrong. My car was sitting outside during the winter and a rodent went under and chewed through the wires on the sensor, short circuiting the sensor and blowin the fuse. So I had to resolder the wires, replace the fuse, and my problems went away.
Great to hear that you got that issue resolved. Also helps me out. Thanks to both for the help.

Now I have another issue that is not related to this but trying to see if anyone has encountered it before. My locking mechanism (I assume that is my issue) on the driver door won't work. All other doors will lock and unlock with my key fob and lock button/switch on the door. Only way to unlock/lock driver door which consequently is only way security alarm will engage is using the key blade itself to lock the door. Has anyone else had this issue or know of someone who has and solved this riddle?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In my case, it was the harness that goes through the door jamb. The wire that sends the signal to lock from the CCM was broken.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neyvr6
I did. I checked all fuses that are 10a. They were all good. I think my sensor could be done. When I did my oil change last weekend I did notice that the wire on the sensor was a bit beat. I touched it to see if it was good and I ripped off. I taped it back together though. Could this possibly be the issue?
Could be the issue. When mine was bit in half by a rodent, I just spliced it back together and it was good as new.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lyleswk
In my case, it was the harness that goes through the door jamb. The wire that sends the signal to lock from the CCM was broken.
How did you fix your issue?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Replaced the harness; fairly easy job.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Oil sensor cable - More rats!

Had the same problem on my 2002 A4 oil sensor. Rats chewed through cable to the sensor. But still worse - they chewed through it at the end of the cable just as it enters the 3 pin male connector that plugs into the sensor module itself (as is fastened to the bottom of the crankcase). Tried to solder the 3 wires back onto the remaining (very short) cable ends sticking out from the connector but impossible to get a strong-enough join. So now I’m faced with buying a new cable harness and installing it. Haven't checked yet how big the harness is (i.e., how many other places it goes to) but I'm guessing it could be many places (= expensive and time-consuming to install). So, to my question - anyone know where I might be able to get just the connector with (even a short) length of cable sticking out of it? This could be simply cut off from a harness from a breakers yard or from someone who is breaking down a car to sell the parts. Alternately, but probably less likely, anyone know how I could locate Audi’s supplier of the connector so I could assemble a new cable/connector to replace the bad one. Thanks. Dave