A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

One of the engine mounts missing??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One of the engine mounts missing??

I have a 2004 A4 Avant 3.0L Quattro.

So I brought my car to a shop today to have something checked out and the car was on the hoist and they removed the lower panel below the engine and they were looking around and said one of the engine mounts is missing (around the middle part, i could see this block of metal and they said there's supposed to be some rubber around it and some other mount).

I bought the car used (it was in excellent condition and still is), but not sure what happened to this mount. Does it even matter, I think it hasn't even been on there since I bought the car. How would it not even be there?
Old 12-11-2014, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the snub mount.
You have an engine mount on each side that holds the engine up. On older cars and cheaper brands this is standard and all you get.
Audi install a third mount. Its actually more of a locating rubber that sits at the front of the engine to a spot under the radiator in the centre. This stops the engine rocking up and down under hard acceleration and braking.

Its commonly called the 'snub' mount, the good news is they are cheap to buy (like $30) or so from a retailer, and quite easy to install.

Without it, you may not have even known it was missing other than the gear selector may rock a bit under heavy acceleration and braking.

Why is it missing? - if you have had the belts done, or some major work on the front, the mechanic would need to slide the front off the car to the service position, if not off altogether, the rubber snub mount could have fallen out and they didn't notice when they put the front back in the correct location.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the detailed response, that helps a lot.

We've had the car for 3 years (bought it used) and I gather it's been missing all along and I haven't noticed anything whenever I drive the car. Does it do anything to not have the rubber piece there? This is my wife's car, she is not an aggressive driver at all, so no hard acceleration or braking. Will it damage anything to not replace this if it's not necessary? Even though you mentioned the part is only like $30, the labor might be expensive.

Do you know a part number by any chance?

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-...ch/Snub_Mount/
Old 12-12-2014, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Audi B6 A4 Quattro V6 30v Search SiteSearch Snub Mount - ECS Tuning
Old 12-12-2014, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. Does one have to pull the whole engine out to put that in or something? Is that rubber piece the only piece for the 'mount'? The mechanic said the whole mount was missing...

So would i need all 3 pieces in the link? (the snub mount, the bracket and the mount support?

Audi B6 A4 Quattro V6 30v Search SiteSearch Snub Mount - ECS Tuning

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No engine removal. This part can be installed and removed while the engine is in position. You just have to get under the car, may need to remove the plastic splash cover, then you will see the mounting position centre front.
I see on the link ECS can provide the mounting brackets as well as the snub mount.
Square unit goes on the crossmember under the radiator, triangle unit goes on the engine from memory. I can't remember if they use bolts or just nuts onto existing studs.

This will take a mechanic 20 minutes tops to do. If you have ramps, you can do this yourself, better still, wifes car - hand her the spanner! (then duck, it may return with some velocity!)

If you don't have it the implication for a sedate driver would be negligible. Your average japanese car or cheaper local cars do not have these. Long term it would just put a bit of extra stress on the two main engine mounts, as Audi use a hydraulic cushion mount, not just a block of rubber, so they may wear prematurely. They are dearer to replace ($100 or so each side to buy plus labour - you do have to lift the engine to replace) so you may want to discuss with your mechanic.