A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

radio reception gone bad all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio reception gone bad all of a sudden

I own a 2002 Audi A4 3.0. The reception on the radio has gone really bad recently. I cannot get any channels on AM at all and the FM is very scratchy. In searching the forums it appears to be this is a common issue among Audi , and most of the issues point to the internal Antenna Amplifier that is attached to the rear window.

I took the amplifier out last night and when I was putting it back in (flexing it a bit) it seemed to give me a little better reception (seemed like a contact issue?) but I still couldn't pin point the issue. Also, I tried to do the same with the AM turned on, but there was no changes to the reception.

Anyone know what the issue could be? I called Audi Canada today and they want $345 for the amp (if amp is what needs to be changed) plus 50 dollars to inspect plus install fee.

I am hoping I can fix this my self, buy an amp second hand somewhere but not sure how to go about (nothing on ebay).

Any suggestions from you guys ?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by apkesh
I own a 2002 Audi A4 3.0. The reception on the radio has gone really bad recently. I cannot get any channels on AM at all and the FM is very scratchy. In searching the forums it appears to be this is a common issue among Audi , and most of the issues point to the internal Antenna Amplifier that is attached to the rear window.

I took the amplifier out last night and when I was putting it back in (flexing it a bit) it seemed to give me a little better reception (seemed like a contact issue?) but I still couldn't pin point the issue. Also, I tried to do the same with the AM turned on, but there was no changes to the reception.

Anyone know what the issue could be? I called Audi Canada today and they want $345 for the amp (if amp is what needs to be changed) plus 50 dollars to inspect plus install fee.

I am hoping I can fix this my self, buy an amp second hand somewhere but not sure how to go about (nothing on ebay).

Any suggestions from you guys ?

I recently purchased a new antenna w/ adapter on Ebay. I'll do a write up once my car comes back from the shop and I can confirm it works. The total cost was $30
Old 03-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I am having the same radio problem. After the RNSE install that is.

I am having the same radio problem. After the RNSE install that is.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Same problem here...

My dealer here in Denver wanted ~$280, if I recall... No way am I paying that...

I'm currently checking local import salvage yards. I found one who had an amp from an '01 A4, but I suspect it won't fit since it's a B5... BTW, he only wanted $40 for it, so if I can find one I expect it will be reasonable. Of course, there's always the possibility of buying a used part that's close to failing...

-Mark
Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Maybe you can repair yours?

If you can get it to work better by flexing it you do have either a cracked circuit board, bad solder joint, or dirty connector. Try touching up the solder joints. Also clean the connectors with contact cleaner. Look for any corrosion on them too as that will prevent good contact. For a cracked PCB, that's tougher to find and also very unusual but can be located with a higher power magnifying glass. My money's on a bad solder joint.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default antenna amp was the fix

I had this same problem and fixed it by replacing the antenna amp in the headliner above the rear window. I think the temperature up there in the summertime causes cracks in the PCB which are hard to detect and fix.

The fix is an easy DIY but the part is at least a few hundred $ if I remember correctly.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think I've finally narrowed it down; the problem appears to be with the Antenna booster just like what everyone here said. I noticed a minor crack on the rubber (?) casing. I am not sure if this is what's causing the bad reception or if it's some connection below the casing which I can't seem to get to. I did notice that every time I push on the left corner of it, the FM reception good really good. I’ll try to attach some pictures so it’s more clear what I am talking about.

Now my questions are:

1) Can I take the rubber casing off to inspect the circuit board for any cracks in contacts? It looks like the rubber is glued on to the circuit board so I am afraid I may break it if I try to rip it.

2) Any place I can order this used online?
Attached Images    
Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No. Do not try to remove the rubber casing - it'll only make it worse. The rubber is molded around some of the surface-mounted chips on the other side of the PCB. On of the problems, I think, is that when that piece goes from hot to cold over the day/night/summer/winter, it flexes and eventually pops off one or more of the chips (breaks the leads or solder joints). That's what happened to mine... Then I tried prying the corner up to get a better look and popped off another... What in the hell kinda purpose that rubber thing serves I don't know.

I'm still searching for a used replacement as well...

-Mark
Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is a super old thread, but wanted to share a bit of my experience with replacing this module.

I found the same issue on my 04 A4 1.8TQ w/130k on the clock. My module (same part number as that in the pics below) was cracked in a couple places and reception was non-existant unless I pressed on the module.

In my case, I wrapped the part in aluminum foil and threw it into the oven at 250F to make the rubber coating very soft. You can actually pull the rubber off (very carefully) without pulling components with this method (just be careful not to burn yourself). It's a bit of a juggling act to keep it warm while time to flake off the rubber.

After taking off the rubber, I found one of the surface mount inductors to be damaged. Looking at the components, it's the one which is the highest off the PCB (and deepest into the rubber stuff).

If you just want a replacement part, try one of the audi specialty junk yards (Shokan, Force5, etc...). I'm trying to get a replacement inductor, but if that fails, I'm buying a junk yard unit, either for the parts or for a working unit.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=apkesh;23755034]I own a 2002 Audi A4 3.0. The reception on the radio has gone really bad recently. I cannot get any channels on AM at all and the FM is very scratchy. In searching the forums it appears to be this is a common issue among Audi , and most of the issues point to the internal Antenna Amplifier that is attached to the rear window.

Just read this thread, as I had the same issue with my Audi A4 2005 2.0L TFSI S Line. Had bad reception on radio. So I took the internal roof trim off the rear window. To reveal the circuit board (held on by about six clips), carefully turn the board round to find about 5-7 pins on the board that makes contact with the window. I bent these slightly so they were more protruding. then with a little sand paper scratched the ends and gently scratched the window contact spots and put back everything..... Instantly excellent reception. Hope this helps