A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Request advice with "New to Me" A4

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Request advice with "New to Me" A4

History: Just purchased '02 A4 AWD Avant, 1.8L, Auto transmission (ZF 5HP19FLA), 68,000 miles from used lot of a new car dealer. I'm third owner. 1st owner was a lease and many service records from Car Fax were available, 2nd owner had car for 9 years and averaged 2,500 miles/year and although not many service records were available from Car Fax, I received email from 2nd owner (through dealer salesman) of previous maintenance issues and repairs. Looks like a new car except for minor fair ware and tear.

After purchase several things began to occur:

1. new battery (12/14 date code on battery) would be dead every other morning
2. stop at traffic light and engine idling but would not accelerate; push accelerator to floor and nothing
3. transmission leaking fluid from seal between transfer case and housing aft of transfer case (appears the seal is made of ?RTV? and not factory seal)
4. engine oil dripping from splash guard
5. With normal acceleration from 0 to 60, transmission shifts early to 4th gear. Here's sequence - Shifts to 2nd at approx. 2800 rpm - then rpm drops to approx. 2000 rpm and accelerates to approx. 2800 rpm, shifts to 3rd - then rpm drops to approx. 2000 rpm and accelerates to approx. 2300 rpm and shifts to 4th resulting in minor "lugging" with many vibrations, then accelerates to approx. 2800 rpm and shifts to 5th gear. But when fast acceleration (push accelerator to floor and hold it) shift to 4th gear is normal (no early shifting) or when using manual shift (?Tiptronic?) and holding until appropriate RPM then 4th gear shift is ok.
6. Engine has a "whine" since the first time I test drove.

Results:
Problem 1 and 2 above resolved with reinstallation of brake light switch. Brake lights would come on in middle of night and deplete battery. Brake light switch would remain on after stopping at traffic light or stop sign and electronic accelerator would work as advertised - not accelerate.
Problem 4 above resolved after replacing broken engine oil dipstick tube, but oil is seeping from temp fluid level sensor on oil pan (soon to be resolved with new sensor/seal).
Problem 6 - removed serpentine belt, briefly ran engine, and whine stopped. That eliminated TB and pulleys/tensioner, etc. Seems to be bearing type whine, alternator looks new, idler/tensioner appears new. Turned all pulleys by hand after the belt was removed but nothing seemed too tight or loose. Whines with A/C on or off.

Previous owner:
a. replaced TB May 2014 (less than 2,000 miles ago)
b. rebuilt transmission February 2014 (unknown reason?)
c. replaced engine mounts 2014
d. new radiator 2013
e. all ignition coils replaced

Looking for help and recommendations on Problems 3, 5, and 6 above.
Could early shifting into 4th gear be an electrical problem? Is there a transmission ECU?
Can the seal aft of the transfer case be replaced without removing transmission?

Thanks for any replies!!
Old 02-24-2015, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

1) On the tranny, the RTV does not necessarily indicate there is no seal / o-ring, it just means the shop that did the work decided to use RTV. To my understanding, a good shop would not have used RTV as it is not needed. I would simply take it to a reputable independent and get them to disassemble and redo the seal. But, look at #2...
2) Did the previous owner tell you who "rebuilt" the tranny and what specifically was done? Given it was "rebuilt", I would be very nervous about the tranny. They could have rebuilt incorrectly, they could have used the wrong fluid, they could have rebuilt the wrong thing, etc, etc.
3) As far as the whine, by pulling the serpentine, you have isolated it to one of the spinning bits. Bearings can feel okay without load, and make noise with. Just need to isolate.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

lyleswk,

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to the Audi but look forward to driving it! Yes I'm in contact with the transmission repair shop and will take to them; however, if I'm not impressed with their shop I'll move on elsewhere. As for problem #2 the brake light switch would cause that and that nor the dead battery has reoccurred since repairing the switch.

Thanks!!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Follow up

Took the Audi back to the Transmission shop and transfer case fore and aft seals fixed. No longer leaking.

I have reset throttle alignment several times using manual method, but no change to transmission shifting.

Have isolated "Whine" to the Idler pulley - I think. Ordering new Idler, tensioner, and drive belt. I'll post results after installation.

Thanks for all the info!

Will the front clip have to be pulled to get to the idler pulley?