A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Signal problem - right turn signal turns on left instead

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signal problem - right turn signal turns on left instead

Hello, I have a really serious problem with my 2003 A4 which runs fine as far as engine/mechanics are concerned.

Recently, when I signal to turn to right, I see the left indicator blinking. Then I checked outside lights also. So even the outside turn signal lights are going also going to wrong way. This could be very serious.

Here are some more details:
- Only happens when I turn to right. Left is fine.
- Further, it only happens if I lock in to turn to right. Meaning, if I just pull up the indicator to switch lane, it is ok.
- When I lock (click) the switch to right, it first does maybe couple of blinks on right, then starts signalling left for maybe 5 seconds. Then it stops all together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, old thread.... But they come up when you search

Originally Posted by agurm
Hello, I have a really serious problem with my 2003 A4 which runs fine as far as engine/mechanics are concerned.

Recently, when I signal to turn to right, I see the left indicator blinking. Then I checked outside lights also. So even the outside turn signal lights are going also going to wrong way. This could be very serious.

Here are some more details:
- Only happens when I turn to right. Left is fine.
- Further, it only happens if I lock in to turn to right. Meaning, if I just pull up the indicator to switch lane, it is ok.
- When I lock (click) the switch to right, it first does maybe couple of blinks on right, then starts signalling left for maybe 5 seconds. Then it stops all together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same issue? Anyone find a quick answer ( other than pulling the steering wheel?
Old 10-02-2019, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi I have this exact problem on my A6, did either of you resolve this. Apparently there is no relay associated with the turn signals and therefore it's either the stalk or ECU? Does that seem correct?
Old 02-02-2020, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello. I have the same problem on my 2011 A6 in the USA.

Like the OP, when I lock it to the right turn, it starts flashing left. When I push a little more to right turn, it'll alternate flash right and left.

Been reading the forums and there were indications that it may be tied to the hazard light switch on the center dash. I removed it completely but the signal switches still work (incorrectly).

I am suspecting it is within the signal stalk which means I have to pull the steering wheel.

I have no answers but in the same boat with the same problem.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have an 02 A4 1.8t with 290K miles and mine does a similar thing. The research I've done points to the stalk. Left turn signal works fine but right signal causes the left signal to occasionally blink. It is an intermittent problem. My work around is to use the lane change feature for 3 blinks then repeat as required as I approach my turn. Only if I click the stalk to the hold position for a right turn is when the problem happens. Replacing it doesn't look like a difficult job but haven't made the purchase yet.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same Issue

Hi, I have the same issue. Did you ever find out what the problem was? I think by reading other threads the stalk needs replacing but I don’t want to wast £180 if that’s not the problem. Cheers
Old 06-04-2020, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

I would also suspect a faulty emergency flasher switch. These are also not too expensive to change either.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same thing on my 05 A6 out of the blue. But for me it was both when I locked on the indicator, as well as just 3 flash tap. After I used it a few more times playing around with it, it eventually went back to normal. It certainly got me worried for a second! I think it's to do with the stalk switch itself. Some metal contacts or something touching/not touching when they're not supposed to. It hasn't come back since.