A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Thinking of buying an A4 avant

Old 06-21-2015, 07:14 PM
cdu
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying an A4 avant

I'm in boston and I've got an 8 mile commute these days.

I'm getting a bit bored with my corolla, and it was a bit scary a couple times this winter (no ABS / ESP). Plus it is getting a little rusty, and I'm starting to think I should dump it while it is still worth something to someone else; it won't be worth much if it starts getting actually rusty.

I'm operating on the assumption that this vintage of audi is reasonably rust resistant, and if the maintenance schedules are followed the rest of the stuff is unlikely to grenade unexpectedly.

I've narrowed my search down to 04 1.8t or 03/04 3.0 avants because I want the 6 speed. Most in the area seem to be turning over for $4000+ and typically with 150k+ miles on them.

I recently looked at a 3.0 with 150k for $6k and it had somewhat rusty rear subframe, rusted out exhaust, shot brakes, a leaky rear diff, and no record of a timing belt change....

rear diff + some of exhaust rust

rear suspension rust

I assume this is a "walk away" unless I can get them down quite a bit. I did like the V6 though.

Most A4s won't have the memory seats / seat heaters? It was a nice drive.

Thoughts?

Chris
Old 07-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You are right about that one being over priced. Book is only around $3500-4000. 1.8t has potential to mod if you desire more power, maintenance costs are lower with the 4cyl. I have driven both and you won't be disappointed with either.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:54 AM
cdu
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Highmile
You are right about that one being over priced. Book is only around $3500-4000. 1.8t has potential to mod if you desire more power, maintenance costs are lower with the 4cyl. I have driven both and you won't be disappointed with either.

I assume brakes all around, new rear subframe, 4 shocks, exhaust, t-belt, rear diff leak, sundry bushings / ball joints, (pcv spider?), etc would add up to 4k+ as well? (If I had a shop do it which I probably would, but not all at once)

The oil looked okay under the cap. The motor made a slight ticking noise at idle but was otherwise smooth.

I'm not looking to mod the car, just looking for a comfortable, safe place to spend an hour a day commuting to work for the next 5-10 years.

Chris
Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To answer an earlier question, every A4 I've seen has front heated seats. Memory seats are less common, but I have the Mwmory drivers seat on my 2003 A4 3.0.

At a garage the repairs you mention will be in the $4k neighborhood. Exhaust work will be much easier on a lift. Suspension is easier on a lift, but not impossible without. I would suggest DIY brakes and timing belt kit. You would save $1000 or more on parts and labor. It's nothing to be afraid of.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:58 AM
cdu
Audiworld Junior Member

I've decided to pass on that rusty beast; too much liability...

I'll be looking at a, what I think is totally ordinary, '04 1.8t. Timing belt done 30k miles ago, decent looking body, etc. I'll know more when I take a look at it.

What are the differences between an s line 1.8t and a standard 1.8t?
Old 07-10-2015, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 283 Likes on 229 Posts

Model Guide - Audi A4 - AudiWorld

Audiworld Model Guide will give you details - typically sport supension, sport steering wheel and some cosmetic trim. Engine and transmission are identical.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:43 AM
cdu
Audiworld Junior Member

Ah, it looks as though the 190hp 1.8t is an engine that's only available in europe, and it appears to have dual intercoolers.

Are there any long-term side-effects to running a stage 1 tune on an otherwise stock but decent shape 1.8t? I've seen numbers like "205hp on stage 1 tune" which sounds like quite a decent bump from the stock 163.

Chris
Old 07-13-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 283 Likes on 229 Posts

General consensus would be a Stage 1 tune for any of the turbo engines is the best bang for buck around. If you follow recomendations to ensure engine is up to temperature before going to high boost, perform regular oil changes with proper spec synthetic oil and allow a brief idle period after high boost before turning the engine off, our engines will "last for ever". If the engine is already in bad shape, Stage 1 may not be the best idea otherwise most folks here would say go for it.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agreed. No brainer, but I'll say it anyway: use the best gas available in your area.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:55 AM
cdu
Audiworld Junior Member

Were I to chip my hypothetical a4 avant (a 2004 in a non descript color with a 6 speed and ideally with memory seats) I would probably get one of those Bluetooth obd2 dongles and monitor the air temperature, advance, and knock sensors somewhat carefully.

I assume a bottom-line 2004 a4 has brakes big enough that you can't put 15 inch wheels on it? I've got a set of winter tires I'd prefer to use on steel wheels for winter joining. Winters here are pretty rough on alloys...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an A4 avant