A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Transmission fluid replacement

Old 09-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid replacement

I would like to replace the transmission fluid for my A4 1.8T 2005 Quattro automatic 5 speeds. I know that Audi says that this type of fluid is good for ever, but I don't believe them (...Nothing is for ever. What type of oil is good for this job ( I would like to know what's the original brand and type going there )... Thanks...
Old 09-17-2014, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Agree it doesn't last forever. The number I have used is 100K assuming "normal" usage, i.e. no towing, no tracking, no offroading, etc. I have used this philosophy and (knock on wood) have only had one tranny go bad (read below). Successes: 257K on my Mercedes, 207K on my first A4, 120K on my second A4, 170K on my 300zx, 77K on my BMW (obvisouly haven't changed yet).

Next comment will be controversial to some. I would recommend you use only Audi recommended fluids which in the case of transmission fluid, is only sold at an Audi dealer. Yes, it's expensive, but it was formulated in conjunction with Audi engineers and testing extensively by Audi in their transmissions. Why do I think this? Because I followed advice on aftermarket tranny fluid that "met" Ford standards on a Merkur with a manual, replaced the fluid, and the tranny started going bad about 5K later. It lasted long enough until the head blew for a second time and I just got rid of the car. Will never use any fluid (tranny, power steering, coolant, brake fluid, diff oil) other than from the dealer. Oil is an exception because Audi does have a list of Oils they back other than what they use at the dealer (Mobil One at my dealer).

obtw, I would also do the diffs (torsen and rear). On the manual, the torsen shares fluid with the tranny; not sure about the automatic.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by lyleswk; 09-17-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, you mean that the original brand is not sold outside than the dealer? I have found on ECS a service kit and is sold as an original kit : Transmission Filter w/ O-Ring, Transmission Pan Gasket, Fill Plug w/ Crush Washer, Drain Plug w/ Crush Washer, Transmission Fluid - 6 Liters... The kit is sold for 304 dollars...And adding the shipping...By the way, it says that there is 75w90 gear oil for the diferencial ( 1 liter )...With the labor, it's a job of almost 500...Do you know the price at the dealer for fluid?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You are correct. ECS does provide Audi sourced fluids. I would buy from them and have numerous times. They are a reputable on-line company. I would not buy their alternate fluids, even Redline with its great reputation. If I had the time and could get the proprietary info on both fluids, then maybe I would go to an alternate.

Again, my 2 cents.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

And what about FEBI? It's german made and they say that fluids reach and exceeds OEM quality.. The price is much lower than the OEM fluid.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Will let others jump in on their experience with non Manufacturer fluids. You have my 2 cents.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I really thank you guys for that topic. I was hesitated to pull the trigger on that job. My friend (used to work at Audi dealer) advised me to change the tranny fluid but my mechanic was advising me not to do it, as it will be may be hard on the gear box to deal with that new fluid!!! He said (the mechanic) that his dad's Audi A6 is almost 450k miles and never changed the tranny fluid. So if you don't mind asking, why the need to change the diff fluid? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I believe it is a myth that putting new fluid in high mileage tranny will cause the tranny to fail. No proof of it other than I have changed my fluid twice on the Benz, twice on the 300zx (due to age, not miles), and once on the A4s. Again, my 2 cents.

Why the diff? It's no different than any other mechanical bit where metal pieces are rubbing against each other, generating heat, getting little shards of metal in the fluid, etc all of which decreases it's lubricating properties over time.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Lyleswk for your 2 cents . So what will happen if not changed the diff fluid and the diff goes bad?

Last edited by amkmeco90; 09-19-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi says that's for life. Can you trust a car manufacturer? I don't know. All they want is to have a product without problems during the warranty, not for ever. They want you having a car for 5 years and then, because you are happy not having troubles, they want you buying a new one. I'm sure that they don't build cars for ever, and it's because I don't trust Audi that says that the transmission fluid is for the life's car. A mechanician working for VW and Audi, told me that I could have problems if my automatic transmission fluid is replaced... And other one, also working for this brands, told me that is a good idea... May be it would be a good idea to start a survey on this forum with people having automatic transmission on their Audis: did you change your ATF on you Audi? Yes? No? How many km you have without replacing the ATF? Did you get any trouble after the replacement? Is your transmission working better after replacing the ATF?...

If you are under warranty, your transmission will be repaired. If not, you have to pay a very expensive reparation.