A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

what can cause a noisy fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what can cause a noisy fuel pump?

02 A4 1.8t, very noisy fuel pump, not really a loud hum, more like a pulsating vibration type hum, the tone changes every now and then and drives me nuts, i changed the fuel pump and the new one does it as well, changed the filter and it still makes noise, although it stoped for a few minutes with the filter change. it started this a few months ago on and off and then it quit, but it would make noise every now and then, now it's been making noise for the past week and a half all the time. I haven't checked voltage to the pump but that was my next step,it just sounds like the pump is struggling but the car runs great
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

well the noise quit for a week and is now back again, any ideas yet?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you ever figure this out let us know please. My car has had the dreaded humming/buzzing sound of the fuel pump for years. On my car though it seems to only happen when the fuel is super low (around 40 to 50 miles left in the tank). I have learned to just refuel at about 75 miles left. Gas seems to muffle the sound...ive tried multiple fuel pumps and fuel filters with no success. Car still runs great though, so cant complain
Old 04-16-2013, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yea thats how mine started, over time it made more noise more often, and now even with a full tank it is noisy. makes no difference empty or full. but some days it makes no noise at all. other days people outside the car ask me what is that noise!!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jschick
yea thats how mine started, over time it made more noise more often, and now even with a full tank it is noisy. makes no difference empty or full. but some days it makes no noise at all. other days people outside the car ask me what is that noise!!
The pump you replaced is it an Audi OEM pump? and it still makes the exact same buzzing noise that's coming from the fuel pump cover in the trunk?

I am curious because I am having a similar issue and after I replaced the fuel filter it's still buzzing. This is my second fuel pump, the first one was replaced under warranty due to the recall.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

theres a service bulletin about this. The filter clogs and causes the pump to strain and be noisey, replacing the filter may solve it, if it doesnt, replace the pump. if your still having issues, make sure the pump was locked into its sort of slot inside the tank and isnt vibrating, make sure all the fuel lines are in there proper retaining clips, make sure no lines have been partially crushed by a lift or something. other than that, bad quality pumps
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Fuel Filters

I usually start with a fuel filter and then replace the pump... This was a very common issue when these vehicles where new.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
theres a service bulletin about this. The filter clogs and causes the pump to strain and be noisey, replacing the filter may solve it, if it doesnt, replace the pump. if your still having issues, make sure the pump was locked into its sort of slot inside the tank and isnt vibrating, make sure all the fuel lines are in there proper retaining clips, make sure no lines have been partially crushed by a lift or something. other than that, bad quality pumps
Prospeeder, thanks for the information. I will look for the service bulletin for this.

This fuel pump was replaced by Audi dealership under the recall warranty. My previous pump just all of a sudden died one day while I was waiting at drive-through, with zero warnings.

How urgent do you think I should replace the fuel pump? I guess it won't hurt to always have a stand-by in hand?

Cheers,
Old 02-01-2016, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Noisy fuel pump

I had a similar issue on my 04 1.8 a4. I just replaced the engine position sensor bcs it was causing my car to die a lot. And after replacing it and doing nothing else my fuel pump is no longer noisy. Not sure if related or coincidence though.