A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

08 Transmission Problems! PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Transmission Problems! PLEASE HELP!

This is my first post to the site, so I hope I am in the right spot. I apologize in advance if I'm not.

So after dumping 2 quarts of oil into my 2008 A4 2.0T S-Line between every single oil change, replacing a blown alternator, replacing 3 complete sets of coil packs (3x4=12 coils) in less than 2 years, and many other sensors, my transmission is not functioning properly.

I took the car in to numerous European shops and here is the diagnosis consensus:
Codes: 01798 Transmission Range Sensor "A" and 01119 Gear Recognition Signal Range / Performance.
Issues: Upon acceleration from a complete stop, at about 10 mph (2200 RPM), my entire car 'hick-ups' and I feel a violent jerk in my car. If I'm accelerating hard enough (still less than 3000 RPM), my front two tires (FWD) will chirp because the jerk is so violent. This also happens but to a lesser degree at about 40 mph (still around 2500 RPM). However, there is never a hick-up when I can see the transmission changing gears due to RPM drop. I can keep the car in 1st or 2nd gear and without changing gears, the car will still jerk.
Here is the thing... this issue only occurs when the engine temp is warm and has been running/driving for about 20 mins (this is how we concluded that it was most likely a tranny issue). My most trusted mechanics describe this problem as: my engine does not know which gear my transmission is in, so when I accelerate, my engine injects an amount of fuel that it thinks is necessary for the gear ratio that the tranny is in and BANG! the car jerks. I have a CVT - Continuously Variable Transmission, which is absolutely trash IMO. Always have been, always will be, due to the design of the 'cone'. Anyways, my mechanic recommends that I dont replace the Electrical Harness because it is a $2500 USD fix and my car has 130k miles on it. If the tranny is opened up and the electrical harness is replaced, there is a chance that the metal shavings that were produced from the tranny discs rubbing (overtime, this is perfectly okay) could no longer provide the friction for the discs and could lead to bigger damages in my tranny. This is why the mechanics recommend I dont do this fix: they cant guarantee this will fix the problem and then I'm out $2500.

So I thank you all in advance and I have been looking for answers for about a year. I'm so sick of being without a car and spent useless dollars on more diagnostics and repairs that do not fix the problem. I am looking for a further explanation of this issue and if there is anyone who has had the same problem/what you guys ended up doing.

Just yesterday, my PRNDS lights were all flashing my dash, but not on my shifter. This is the first time this has happened to me (jerking problem has been going on for about 8 months though). At this time, I put the car in tiptronic and my car could not tell me what gear I was in and when I accelerated, the engine revved as if I was in Neutral and the car went no where. So I put the car back in Drive and opened the throttle. Again, car revved as if in Neutral and went no where. So I pulled off to the side of the road, turned my car off, took the keys out of the ignition, and opened the door to ensure all electronics/accessories were turned off. I waited 10 seconds, turned the car back on, and PRNDS were still flashing. However, I put the car in Drive (not tiptronic) and it drove as if nothing was wrong.

I would really appreciate any and all insight that you have. Should I try to scrap the car? Try to sell it for $4k? Drive it into the ground?

Also, do these codes represent the diagnosis that I described or could this be related to something else? I feel like it is worth noting that when I took my car into the last mechanic 2 months ago, the first thing he asked my after I described the problem to him and before a test drive was: "Are the PRNDS lights flashing on your shifter?" They were not on the shifter, but were on the dash, 2 months after he mentioned it, so I'm assuming this diagnosis is fairly accurate. In that case, should I just do the $2500 fix and hope and pray for the best?

Thank you so much for the help!