A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

2007 2T Unsolvable white smoke, lack of acceleration, etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exact same problem as the first post!!

I have the exact same problem I got a little confused along the thread. So does the PCV Valve correct the problem???
Old 08-27-2015, 06:39 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Change the PCV first. If that fixes your problem, excellent. If not, move on to other potential problem areas.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The turbo is the culprit. And the one post is correct. The seals in the CHRA of the turbo are shot. Some go earlier than the others. As the oil is pushed out due to compression, it shoots in the exhaust catalytic and your cars behind you get a nice gift. You have to buy the entire turbo, because borg warner doesn't want to make small coin on just the ko3 CHRA even though the rest of the turbo is fine. If this happens to you don't drive hard when you feel the power loss and smoke you'll ruin the engine. The engine will start to bog down, let off the throttle a bit and cruise until the oil burns up. Keep an eye on your oil level periodically, you'll be going through oil like it's water.

Last edited by chapstick; 08-27-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did the PCV replacement myself didn't work. Took the car to my tech he is telling me that the turbo is shot and leaking oil. Charging me 2300 for a new one and labor (sigh) anyone know where I can get the turbo from for cheap?
Old 08-29-2015, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a new one for around a thousand and do it yourself. Avoid used cuz it'll happen again.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's what fixed it for me.

I had the exact same problem with the same car/engine; huge cloud of white/gray smoke when I accelerated uphill and was consuming oil. I replaced my PCV, didn't solve the problem. Then I removed the valve cover and noticed a hairline crack that was causing oil to leak into my turbo. A new valve cover fixed it for me. Check that before replacing the turbo. Also, dump the oil from your intercooler pipe. Odds are that you have a lot of fluid built up in there. So, to recap: Replace your valve cover and drain your intercooler pipe.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I have 2008 A4 2.0T with Tiptronic

Originally Posted by sswss
I have 2006 audi A4 and exact same issue. I had mass air flow sensor replaced. the problem is solved. Parts number is 06F 906 461A Hitachi brand. $127.50 It took me 15 min to replace it.
My first post guys... Definitely look at MAF sensor as a possible issue
I had the same problem when driving lost all power and had codes P0300, P0301, P0302, P0304. I had the car towed home. I also had codes for the thermostat and changed the thermostat and housing as well as the temperature sensor. I changed plugs and coil-packs, fuel system cleaned, Air filter, Fuel Filter, Fluids are all OK. and could not figure out why I had no power. After all parts and such no change in poor power and it just sounded off... The thing that finally fixed it was the Mass Air Flow Sensor.
Hitachi Part # MAF0052 price was 124.00 at Auto Zone
you will need a torx #25 security bit with a hole in the center to change it. 3 minutes and car was fixed and stronger than ever. There were NO CODES in VAG-COM for the MAF sensor. I know this can happen now. I found the voltage test here in the forums and did the test and the old MAF Failed all three tests as well.
I hope this can help others as well.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2006 Audi A4 2.0T burning coolant?

Recently I've been noticing that my coolant level has decreased, but not much. My exhaust seems to exhale this white cloud of smoke when I accelerate at High RPM only, but disappears quickly. Then this burning smell comes. My car also jitters a little when I accelerate over 2000 RPM. Someone told me that my O-rings need to be replaced? Can that be the problem? or maybe a new head gasket? My car has 80K on it.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by belikerob
Hello Audiworld, For the past year I have had a problem with my 2007 A4 2.0t When I accelerate quickly or up a hill my car makes a horrible sound, it sounds like a metal piece repeatedly and very quickly trying to move but hitting another metal piece that is blocking its path. Simultaneously a huge plume of white smoke comes out the exhaust (NOT sweet, it smells like burnt oil and a hint of rotten eggs), and then a loss of power which lasts until I give the car a solid 5 seconds of no acceleration/foot on gas. If I fight it and try to maintain speed it starts to buck (jumps forward for a split second then drops speed for a split second then jumps forward, repeatedly at a fast rate), then smokes even more, then finally COMPLETE loss of power. (car couldn't turn back on, had to be towed to shop both times)
Tests/details:
*2007 a4 2.0T 75,xxx miles
*passed compression test
*Turbo has been literally red hot on 2 occasions after particularly bad uphill highway incidents
*had to replace the spark clubs after one particularly bad uphill smoke incident
*car over consumes oil (sorry cant give an exact amount)
*car occasionally makes a soft thump noise (realized this is usually when im a little low in oil)

*replaced the pv valve and 2 other pieces that were recalled
Not sure if I forgot anything, but ill update if I did.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this problem?
Had the same problem as initial post. Replaced turbo, Problem was still there. I replaced pcv valve, problem didn't go away. Replaced Valve cover and problem is no longer there. Pff after almost 3k and a 200 dollar part was the culprit. Reading on other threads I have seen that changing the valve cover whether or not you have smoke problems will reduce your oil consumption apparently this valve cover goes bad really easily. It feels so good to step on the gas and go over 2000 rpm without worrying about white smoke coming out your tailpipe.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just recently got back into an Audi after about 7 years away.

I purchased a 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0T avant but had a mechanic look it over first.
I noticed oil by the back of the engine by the firewall and he said that the gasket will need to be replaced.
I also have a bit of white smoke while accelerating. So I will have this replaced as well. But luckily this was negotiated into the price of the car before purchasing.

Hope this fixes it for me.

Quick Reply: 2007 2T Unsolvable white smoke, lack of acceleration, etc