A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

A4 1.8T B7 BFB Motor knocking noise on cold start

Old 06-14-2016, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 1.8T B7 BFB Motor knocking noise on cold start

Hello All
I'm new to audiworld and this is my first... here goes.
I have a 2007 Audi A4 1.8T (BFB motor) multitronic that has this strange knocking /zinging noise on cold starts is goes away after about a min of idling. thereafter she drives fine no error codes or warning lights.
i initially thought it was the cam chain tensioner and replaced it along with the recent cam belt service etc, but the noise still remained. The noise seems to be coming from the back of the motor and i just cant seem to place it.
the car at the moment has 178000km on the clock and serviced regularly.

Last year I had low oil pressure warning light and replaced the oil pickup, sump cleaned, pcv valves etc replaced. Is there a chance that i missed something that needed to be cleaned that is perhaps not allowing enough oil to get to some parts. I have a video of the sound and hopefully someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

Thank you!
Old 06-14-2016, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like an oil pressure problem because it goes away. I would have suggested the hydraulic cam chain tensioner if you hadn't already done it. Was there anything in the oil pickup screen ? I would be looking at getting the oil pressure tested with a guage test so you can see if you are getting oil pressure build up on start up. You may have an oil pump clogged which inhibits proper oil pressure. I assume you have done an oil change and you are using a decent oil. If you pull the valve cover does it look like you are getting oil through all the journals? Oh - and check the dip stick and the plastic top half of the tube (orange) for broken bits, I have seen these break up and the plastic has a habit of falling into the sump.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the oil pickup was pretty clogged, but i replaced that as well. with the replacement of the cam chain tensioner the cam caps were removed and pretty cleaned. I've have only been using the Castrol synthetic oil 5w40 (castrol edge titanium) I'll have the pressure tested asap! thanks for your reply! much appreciated