A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

a4 tfsi problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 04:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a4 tfsi problems

Hi had cam chain tensioner replaced as kept getting faults code p0011 but after 2 days the lights come back on any ideas?
Old 04-22-2015, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmmm
Old 04-23-2015, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I Have rebooked in with garage that did the work to check over the work the did as all relating back to timing issue But already they saying it not- whats people veiws on this- there also saying the work the did not warrented as is was done under used car warrenty.... surly if the is a issue u got to warrent it If faulty or incoreclty timed?

Fault codes as follows

P0011 and sometime changes to p000a but primarily p0011
Old 04-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any work done is warrantied by a garage with half a reputation, especially if the issue persists 2 days later. I have seen the tensioner go in these motors twice in my life, both times because the motor was run out of oil(once an oil pan with a pen sized hole and second time due to drain plug coming out). When the engine loses oil pressure the tensioner collapses and the plastic guides get destroyed by the cam chain slapping them. Its pretty easy to screw up the cam timing when replacing the tentioner, the car will still run fairly well but will throw a timing correlation code.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To further add to the above statement, could be a malfunctioning cam position sensor but it seems fairly unlikely
Old 04-26-2015, 01:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will keep u updated! Interesting stuff you have said there will be curious when it goes back in. Thanks for your reply
Old 04-27-2015, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two thoughts:
1. cam position sensor faulty ( I think the Bosch unit is about $90 for the 2.0T)
2. Has the engine run a bit poor since you purchased it?
I am just thinking the if you have purchased the car recently (hence the used car warranty) if the timing belt has been replaced before you purchased it, they may have got the installation wrong by a tooth. Replacing the tensioner has highlighted the timing is out. So your mechanic may be honest in saying they got their work right, but the front belt may be out by a tooth which they may not have checked but assumed was correctly installed. It's a long shot, but clearly something isn't right. If they do a full timing check, not just look at their tensioner they may find the discrepancy.
Do you have any records or log books from the previous owners which may indicate previous works?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default surprise surprise

had back from the garage to day a surprise surprise they think that there work is fine, how ever- i did manage to catch one of the "technicians" and i said to him what going on ect...i ask for honesty put aside everything ect ect.... response being ( long story short )
Cam chain tensioner was replaced because it had broken up - i said why, he said reason being as when they got it the car sounded like a bag of nails and found that the oil strainer was blocked in turn killing the cam chain tensioner , oil starvation - originally the engine light was on but couldn't see a fault code but with the other machine came up with the same fault as my reader so im guessing this has been ongoing some time- no point was checked when they replaced cam chain tensioner just swap over for new part and oil change a supposedly a new oil filter. the invoice i got to day said they need to do further investigation More time needed to strip chain off and inspect variator and VVTI unit @ £270 for strip down then on top part if found fault components

if oil stavation was the main caorse what othe part could corse the engine rattel and this light, just seams this particular garge dont have a clue. iv taken from them and said i want to get a second opinion

now im back to square one and an ever getting lighter wallet!

ANY IDEA'S WELCOME

May take to my mechanic but idealy i want someone to look over this car that knows these engines parhaps i should take to audi..............
Old 04-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

they clear fault code but engine light come back on again

P0011

also knotised on idle revs are on 1200rpm
Old 04-29-2015, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

All ideas welcome

Have just rescanned codes

P0011 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1)

Last edited by k_i_t_c_h; 04-29-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: a4 tfsi problems