A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Camshaft replacement sensor code problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft replacement sensor code problems

Hey guys, new to the forums so I'm not sure if this has been covered in a previous thread for the b7s but, I have a 2006 b7 and am running into some issues. The car recently had some work done to it, with both timing belts replaced and tuned correctly (I'm assuming). Although, the engine seems to have some shaking to it and it idles quite low (barely below 1,00 RPMS). In addition the car doesn't seem to have a whole lot of power to it, its quite slow to accelerate as if it's misfiring. Yet, after it reaches 1,500 rpms or so it runs perfectly smooth and especially better when its on the freeway and at higher speeds. I had the ECU scanned, and it came up with a P0300 random misfire code subsequently giving it misfire codes for all 4 cylinders. Also, it gave me a p0340 camshaft position sensor (bank 1 or single sensor) code. The spark plugs are new on the car, the coils are fine, thus I'm fairly sure it's either the camshaft position sensor or the timing is off by a tooth. Although, it runs fairly well so I would assume it would run much worse if the timing was off.

SO, I was hoping someone could point me to a guide on replacing the CPS, or at least a diagram/picture of the location of the CPS. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All 4 cylinder misfire could mean timing off on the belt or worse the timing chain. Find someone with vagcom and check timing.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Sensor

I recently did some work to my 3.2v6 and had to unplug all the sensors. When I put everything back together I got two of the sensors switched up. I had the same code as before as you did. Bank 1 means driver side. At the very front of the engine you will have a fuel/air sensor plug that looks just like the CPS. They are most likely reversed.

I'm on my phone so I can't provide anymore info. But on this site there is a page detailing the valve timing chain adjuster replacement. On that page there are a lot of pics and diagrams you will find useful.

It might solve one of your problems.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default please help

A week ago i was driving my a4 b6 1.8t and the coolant warning came on so i stopped on the side of the road...opened bonnet n saw a mixture of oil and water coming out of the bottom of the water bottle. I towed it home and was advised that the oil cooler packed up. The mac replaced it n drove it bt it lost power and continously lost water from somewhere. The mac did a minor service and cam belt change jus to be sure but now that he set the timing and started it... it has a very sluggish start after 2 or 3 attempts and a loud backfire and has very less power. And is still losing water...very quickly... someone please please assist..
Old 10-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Former Vendor

Front of head, drivers side. Just need to pop off the top cover to see it.

Audi genuine parts catalog online
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2015, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by oemaudiparts
Front of head, drivers side. Just need to pop off the top cover to see it.

Audi genuine parts catalog online
Hi. Thanks for the reply... what is it called and what does it do?
Old 10-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor

Audi calls it "impulse sender camshaft" commonly referred to as a camshaft position sensor. It works in conjunction with the ECU and crank sensor for proper timing of the fuel, air, spark.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by oemaudiparts
Audi calls it "impulse sender camshaft" commonly referred to as a camshaft position sensor. It works in conjunction with the ECU and crank sensor for proper timing of the fuel, air, spark.
Thanks a million. You were correct. I changed the sensor just now and the power is back and it starts much better. Now i have to sort out the coolant leak. It seems to be leaking on the right hand side of the engine at the bottom and dripping from the sump. Do you know where the leak could be specifically?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor

Most likely are coolant flange and/or heater hoses. Need to pressure test and get eyes on it to know for sure.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default It might be time to take it in to audi to have a deep look into the engine

Before you do anything you should take it to audi I've learned my lesson with that one. They will most likely run a engine diagnostic and then take a look at the performance. Honestly I had this problem and audi told me to replace the battery and it helped with the shaking and the low rpm problem. There still wasn't a lot of power so I took it back and they replaced the pistons. Totally worth the money the car has more power than it ever had, it feels brand new. So I would go to the dealer and have them look at it

Quick Reply: Camshaft replacement sensor code problems