A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Car "hiccuping" on heavy acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! My car still does this. It needs a number of things done so I'll be asking the mechanic about this when I take it in. It sure is frustrating!

Originally Posted by Wyliejay
I have a 2009 A4 that exhibited the exact same problem, almost like a cough during hard acceleration under load.
Took it to the dealer, and he said that 3 of my 4 ignition coils were on their last legs and that I should replace them asap or I could be left stranded.
That's scheduled in 2 weeks and will report back on results.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replacing the the ignition coils solved the problem. Found a set of four on the Internet and installed them myself. All hiccuping on acceleration is gone. Smooth and stronger.
The following users liked this post:
Rochelle13 (10-18-2021)
Old 01-16-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for for the feedback! I took my car in today and they have many things to do. Once they call me I'll ask about the ignition coils.

Replacing the the ignition coils solved the problem. Found a set of four on the Internet and installed them myself. All hiccuping on acceleration is gone. Smooth and stronger.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Problem solved(finally!)

It turns out that I could've simply went to the new mechanic I go to now a long time ago and the problem would've been solved! He recommended a number of things be done, but he figured out the problem after seeing my car once (I just hadn't taken it back in because life in general). Turned out he called it when he said the fuel pump was weak. He replaced that, and now my car is totally back to normal! I thought I would have to deal with that problem for however long I decided to keep this car. Totally appreciate the feedback and help I received here. Thanks all!
The following users liked this post:
Rochelle13 (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm new here. My 2010 2.0ltr turbo audi a4 has started doing this. Was driving along at 100km and suddenly started juddering and choking. If I drive around at low speeds, gently and change through gears slowly with little acceleration it doesn't do it. Any higher revs or acceleration and trying to go a faster speed in general and it starts again. The juddering gets really bad, causing it to rough idle/and cel/epc warning lights come on and seems to be running on less cylinders.
I see you had success with ignition coils. I wondered if my symptoms sound like what you experienced? Any help is welcomed. I'm due at mechanics this week and don't want wild goose chase that costs a fortune
Thanks
Old 04-12-2023, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Rochelle13
Hi, I'm new here. My 2010 2.0ltr turbo audi a4 has started doing this. Was driving along at 100km and suddenly started juddering and choking. If I drive around at low speeds, gently and change through gears slowly with little acceleration it doesn't do it. Any higher revs or acceleration and trying to go a faster speed in general and it starts again. The juddering gets really bad, causing it to rough idle/and cel/epc warning lights come on and seems to be running on less cylinders.
I see you had success with ignition coils. I wondered if my symptoms sound like what you experienced? Any help is welcomed. I'm due at mechanics this week and don't want wild goose chase that costs a fortune
Thanks
What was the result of going to the mechanic? I have a 2014 and it is doing exactly the same thing as yours.Thank you in advance for any help!
Old 09-03-2023, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I recently replaced a brand new set of Ignition Coils on my '08 2.0T (genuine Audi part 07K-905-715-G) and I can definitely feel my car running smoother than before. I have 92,000 miles and for the most part had no issues but decided to replace the coils as a preventive maintenance. I can immediately feel the quicker response from a standstill and it boosts way better than before minus the occasional hiccup/hesitations. My main objective for replacing the coils is hoping to get better gas mileage, which they do seem to rob when aged or starting to go bad. Nevertheless I'm extremely happy.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

guy and all, I had the same issue. Replaced "F" version coils (Black-tops) with Audi Genuine R8 coils. Red tops. That was six+ years ago and no issue to date. And yes that $ was for all four. I got a deal on them at the time via Amazon Warehouse Deals. Haya....

October 2016

“F” version kept as spares (4)

Amazon WHD-Heritage VW $68

Genuine Audi OE “E” version R8 ignition coils (4) part no. 06E905115E

Last edited by Hayabusafalcon; 09-07-2023 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-18-2023, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 80sGuy
I recently replaced a brand new set of Ignition Coils on my '08 2.0T (genuine Audi part 07K-905-715-G) and I can definitely feel my car running smoother than before. I have 92,000 miles and for the most part had no issues but decided to replace the coils as a preventive maintenance. I can immediately feel the quicker response from a standstill and it boosts way better than before minus the occasional hiccup/hesitations. My main objective for replacing the coils is hoping to get better gas mileage, which they do seem to rob when aged or starting to go bad. Nevertheless I'm extremely happy.
Hey, so my car has begun to have this happen first thing I did was order 4 brand new ignition coils. And I’m waiting to install them. Before I do that. Have you done anything with the vacuum pump. I got my car back from the shop today and had the vac pump replaced now my car is doing this. Thanks so much.
Old 11-18-2023, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Juggy101
Hey, so my car has begun to have this happen first thing I did was order 4 brand new ignition coils. And I’m waiting to install them. Before I do that. Have you done anything with the vacuum pump. I got my car back from the shop today and had the vac pump replaced now my car is doing this. Thanks so much.
I did. Replaced all the gasket/seal o-rings on my vacuum pump about 7 months ago and it did ran well, boosts better than before. The Ignition Coils also helped recover some lost power/performance as described.

Quick Reply: Car "hiccuping" on heavy acceleration