A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

CEL code P0722 - Output Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL code P0722 - Output Speed Sensor

I have a 2006 with CVT and I am getting CEL code P0722 - Output Speed Sensor No Signal

Research suggests this is the TCM going out. I don't have $2k to spend on a full TCM right now. Is there anything I can do about replacing just the sensor so I can pass inspection?

On the table is just resetting the light and trading it in, but I am way upside down in this car due to low trade value.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This issue has come up on the A6 Allroad forum a few times, if you do a search there. Before assuming its the TCM, you could just try replacing the sensor and resetting the error.
A lot cheaper and if the alarm does not return then it was just the sensor.
I replaced my sensor on the Allroad about 6 months ago, all good now.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by John535is
This issue has come up on the A6 Allroad forum a few times, if you do a search there. Before assuming its the TCM, you could just try replacing the sensor and resetting the error.
A lot cheaper and if the alarm does not return then it was just the sensor.
I replaced my sensor on the Allroad about 6 months ago, all good now.
Where is the sensor? Becuse everything I ran across suggested the sensor was on the TCM when you have a CVT transmission?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I believe it's inside the transmission housing and that means opening it up. Might as well swap the tcm while you're at it. If you clear the the code you'll probably just have it reappear as soon as you drive.

If you want to try it, there's a company on ebay that reflashes tcms. I'd contact any company first with questions before you go through with this. You're still going to have to get it removed and install it later.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The output speed sensor I am referring to is on the outside of the bell housing. If you can picture where the flywheel would be in the bellhousing, look for a black sensor with a single small bolt and a 2 wire electrical connection at 90 degrees. The sensor looks similar to the cam speed sensor in appearance, its a tube about 25mm (1 inch) long, 20mm (3/4 ") round (from memory). On the A6 it was on the left side of the transmission sort of 5 o'clock if you were looking in the engine bay from the front, on the A4 (6 speed manual) I recall it was on the right side about 10 o'clock. It's well hidden due to the crossmembers so you have to be a bit of a contortionist to get at it. There is a you tube segment where the guy uses a mirror to see it. These are sealed units so it's about $60-$80 sender unit depending on the part number.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by John535is
The output speed sensor I am referring to is on the outside of the bell housing. If you can picture where the flywheel would be in the bellhousing, look for a black sensor with a single small bolt and a 2 wire electrical connection at 90 degrees. The sensor looks similar to the cam speed sensor in appearance, its a tube about 25mm (1 inch) long, 20mm (3/4 ") round (from memory). On the A6 it was on the left side of the transmission sort of 5 o'clock if you were looking in the engine bay from the front, on the A4 (6 speed manual) I recall it was on the right side about 10 o'clock. It's well hidden due to the crossmembers so you have to be a bit of a contortionist to get at it. There is a you tube segment where the guy uses a mirror to see it. These are sealed units so it's about $60-$80 sender unit depending on the part number.
Man please let me know what you found out about that sensor I'm having the same issue, first some transmitting line was leaking I replaced the line and behold I service the transmission and that same cel came in I'm trying to find where that sensor would be